Humboldt

Jaskirat Sidhu, the driver of a transport truck involved in a deadly crash with the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus last April, has pleaded guilty to all 29 counts of dangerous driving.

Sidhu appeared in a court in Melfort, Sask., on Tuesday morning.

On April 6, 2018, the Humboldt Broncos’ team bus and a transport truck collided on a Saskatchewan highway killing 16 people and injuring 13 others.

Sidhu was not injured in the crash and was released on bail with conditions last July.

He pleaded guilty to all of the charges against him and his lawyer, Mark Brayford, told reporters that his client wanted to plead guilty to avoid further delay.

“His position to me was, I just want to plead guilty, I don’t want you to plea bargain, I don’t want a trial. Mr Sidhu advised me, I don’t want to make things any worse. I can’t make things any better but I certainly don’t want to make them any worse by having a trial,” said Brayford from outside of court.

Brayford said Sidhu wanted the families of the victims to know that he is ‘devastated’ by the grief he has caused them and is humbled by the support he has received from the community.

“He’s overwhelmed by the expressions of sympathy and kindness that some of the families and players have expressed to him in spite of the fact that their grief is entirely his fault and he’s very sorry about that,” said Brayford.

The Humboldt Broncos released a statement following the guilty pleas thanking Sidhu for ‘taking responsibility’ and for eliminating the need for a trial.