Standards & Hot heads

muckles:

planetrucking:
Surely It must be a result of how the industry treats its own Drivers?
It does seem company’s have an agenda of belittling the role so to pay the least amount of money to achieve the highest profits?, In turn this is having an adverse effect on the industry by not enticing new staff into the role, resulting in companies recruiting anyone who will take minimum wage! This is having an overall affect of causing standards to drop way below what they should be.
I’ve had a few job offers that blatantly worked out to below minimum wage! I mean why do this? It only serves to degrade your own business and industry in the long run.

The industry have had a surplus of drivers and a surplus of trucks for the work available, (too easy to get a licence, too easy to start a haulage company) this means rates are pushed down as transport companies chase the work, the easiest way of pushing the costs down is drivers T&C’s.

I was going to make that point, but muckles made it for me (along with some excellent points generally).

You don’t generally get owner pilots and owner train drivers. If you want to set up an airline or a railway franchise, you better have a lot of money behind you. Want to get your own truck, well you can start up for surprisingly little on some of the schemes set up by the likes of Maritime with your new shiny license that you didn’t have a month ago. It’s all about barriers to entry and there are few in general haulage.