Crap and/or abusive instructors

Not that different! RTITB still exists under the name of NRI. I believe their process is pretty much unchanged. I choose to be part of National Vocational Driving Instructor Register.
The qualification process is a theory test comprising 5 papers of 20 questions each. One of these is purely about instructional technique. The others are standard theory test questions. Then we have a 90 minute drive with a maximum of 5 driving faults allowed. The mark goes down quicker than on a standard test. During the drive we have a section of approximately 10 minutes commentary drive. This also takes the place of the hazard perception test.
Then a test of instructional ability. This can be a “live” lesson with a genuine candidate at any stage. Generally, the examiner will act as a stooge, giving the wannabee instructor a minimal amount of prior information. It then relies on the instructor to use effective question and answer to gain the full picture. From there, the instructor has just a few seconds to formulate an effective and totally appropriate lesson plan which is then delivered over 90 minutes.

It’s tough, very tough. But it’s a great feeling when you’re told you’ve passed!

But, as I’ve said hundreds of times, there is zero requirement, legally, for any “instructor” to put themselves through the process. It’s a shame as there are some perfectly sound unregistered instructors. For the customer, how do you find them? And, in the meantime, buyer beware!

Pete :laughing: :laughing: