Any old promotor drivers around

I was in Baghdad when that Scud landed in the Tigris. Must have been at the same time as you Sandway. I remember that next day the long column of smoke was still there what seemed to be most of the next day. One year I drove down unloaded and was there for a couple of months working with Chick. The other long stay in Baghdad I had was post-Promotor and working as a competitor at the expo. One of the translators took a shine to me and invited me to her party.

At the Iraqi party was when a (different) Scud landed at about 1am in the morning I think it must have been. There was a terrific “whump” and the building we were in shook and all the power went off and all the girls began screaming. It’s what brought it home to me. I wasn’t scared for myself but these people were scared for their families… I was about 33 then and one of the party goers was encouraging me to marry her extraordinarily pretty 17 year old daughter, a Christian (they were Assyrians). The party consisted mostly of young women although a few English ex-pats arrived late evening so I didn’t feel too much of a sore thumb. Happy days!

There was another Scud landed on the German pavilion at the exhibition but didn’t actually explode. I wasn’t there when in Baghdad when that happened though. I think Peter Calderwood was around then and explained it to me. Somewhere I have a “Baghdad Times” and all the war reports appear to be about diggers being knocked out. I’ll see if I can find and post a copy here.