A02780.JPG

A02801.JPG

A02791.JPG

A02892.JPG

Volvo F7 “Truck of the Year 1979”

Click on pages twice to read.

H.Twycross Scania.

Prestons Mercedes.

Anyone recognise the ERF ? Looks like Richard ■■? on the sheet.

ATH ERF bulker.

Alcan Scania 111.

G.R.Stein Seddon Atkinson.

Edge Transport DAF.

Belfield Bros Volvo F88. Looks like its had a hard life.

P.G.Herdsman Volvo F10. Dont think we have had one of these on here,anyone know where they were from ?

Bathgate Silica Sand Foden.

hayday:

DEANB:
Omega Iveco

Anyone recognise the DAF tanker ■■
I’m no expert but the tanker looks like it’s in Colas colours or possibly Shell bitumen?

Tesco Scania

Cant make name out on the MAN ■■

Unigate Dairies ERF

Think it says Barrett on the Volvo.
Barrett are based the outskirts of Carmarthen they supply all the railway sleepers rails they are a contractor to the railway

Anyone recognise the Volvo ■■

Dolphin Packaging Scania from Poole.

Linde Lansing Scania

Bainbridge Volvo

Regarding bolted versus rivetted chassis, give me bolts every time! I well remember how time consuming it was replacing spring hangers etc on Bedford and BMC chassis, grinding rivets off and then having to ream the holes out to install ‘dead fit’ bolts whereas with a Foden etc five minutes with a zip gun and the job was done. Very rare that we had loose bolts, usually it took a lot of strength to loosen them for changing gearboxes etc and this was on tipper chassis where rough work and twisting was normal.

Dean, the haulier I mentioned didn’t work for a magazine! :laughing: He ran his own truck for years, still owns and drives a Foden I believe, besides having restored some for the rally circuit which have featured in these pages over the years. Obviously he was wrong about ‘the Swedes’ though, although like me he possibly wouldn’t be seen dead in one! :laughing:

Pete.

Morning Dean,
The Smiths Flour Mills Volvo must have been based at Langley Mill as I can’t remember “bag wagons” running out of Walsall Mill in the Volvo years!

A03706p.JPG

Morning Dean,
The Servosteel Premium may be one of their own fleet or one of Mamble Transports, Servo had depot’s in Stourbridge and the old Simon Engineering factory near Dudley, Cheer’s Pete

P1002274p.JPG

pete smith:
Morning Dean,
The Servosteel Premium may be one of their own fleet or one of Mamble Transports, Servo had depot’s in Stourbridge and the old Simon Engineering factory near Dudley, Cheer’s Pete

Morning Dean and Pete,I have spent many times waiting to tip up servo Stourbridge they weren’t exactly quick tipping

With the shortage of drivers to day a lot of companies will look at driver “likes” when looking at new motors, how much an hour would you want to drive an A series ERF to day, FULL TIME !!! Harvey
[/quote]
I would prefer an A Series than the pile of crap that is a midlift automatic CF that i`m currently driving :wink:
[/quote]
Hi Pete,
So sorry to hear that mate, what with Christmas coming up an all, :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: Harvey

240 Gardner:
That looks vaguely familiar - was that on Canute Road, heading down past Ocean Village towards the Itchen bridge?

Yes i was, did you used to wear pink shorts ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Harvey

rigsby:
On the subject of chassis bolts , a firm I worked for had about 20 new AEC light 8 wheelers . The fleet engineer took every one in turn in the workshop and had the chassis bolts checked , 50% needs tightening and quite a few were scarcely more than finger tight .

Morning Rigsby,
The Mamoth Major was a good motor in its day, I worked at Volvo with one of there salesman with a huge ammount of experiance, ( he moved to Volvo when Southall became Leyland ) and in fun he would say thats why the NUTS are on the outside. It became the Leyland Octopus, even lighter and pay load was its big pitch to the market. Harvey

Buzzer:
Dean thanks for the mention, I have always believed it is most important what ever you buy, a house, new car or a truck you got to always look at the out door even on a rainy day when going through the in door. Always a consideration was reliability, service and parts backup, fuel economy and of course driver likeability the last being most important of late with a driver shortage, well at least of competent and loyal ones. Things have changed enormously since I got involved in transport and todays environment is not one I would relish, the good old days are long gone and I was in it when it was pleasurable as a lot on here were, we definitely had the good times even though it was tough but you just got on with it. By the way we did have a slight deviation and ran a few DAF’s for a while as well as the Volvo’s & Scania’s.
When we were at our peak we never ran any trucks more than three years buying ten or twelve new every year, extending the warranty for the whole life while with us and that way we never had any major bills, finance then was cheap as chjps so to me it was a no brainer back then and we could readily sell our old stock even though they were LHD something else we have specked from the early 90’s and still run today, glad to be retired now and just observe the proceedings from a distance, Buzzer

And of course Mr Davies a very tasty Mandator, One carefull owner, never raced or rallied. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Harvey

HRS:

Buzzer:
Dean thanks for the mention, I have always believed it is most important what ever you buy, a house, new car or a truck you got to always look at the out door even on a rainy day when going through the in door. Always a consideration was reliability, service and parts backup, fuel economy and of course driver likeability the last being most important of late with a driver shortage, well at least of competent and loyal ones. Things have changed enormously since I got involved in transport and todays environment is not one I would relish, the good old days are long gone and I was in it when it was pleasurable as a lot on here were, we definitely had the good times even though it was tough but you just got on with it. By the way we did have a slight deviation and ran a few DAF’s for a while as well as the Volvo’s & Scania’s.
When we were at our peak we never ran any trucks more than three years buying ten or twelve new every year, extending the warranty for the whole life while with us and that way we never had any major bills, finance then was cheap as chjps so to me it was a no brainer back then and we could readily sell our old stock even though they were LHD something else we have specked from the early 90’s and still run today, glad to be retired now and just observe the proceedings from a distance, Buzzer

And of course Mr Davies a very tasty Mandator, One carefull owner, never raced or rallied. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Harvey

DEANB:
H.Twycross Scania.

Prestons Mercedes.

ATH ERF bulker.

Alcan Scania 111.

Edge Transport DAF.

P.G.Herdsman Volvo F10. Dont think we have had one of these on here,anyone know where they were from ?

That’s not you in Preston’s 1632 is it Lance?

It could be :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

DEANB:
H.Twycross Scania.

Prestons Mercedes.

ATH ERF bulker.

Alcan Scania 111.

Edge Transport DAF.

Herdsman was from Oswestry area, used to carry out of Shotton on occasions but in the main timber, the 2800 DAF. Was the wife’s uncles who drove for Edge in Chester also…also had a TM and KM Bedford with a detroit v8…yeeh ha!!!

DEANB:
ETS MAN. Were ETS a MAN dealer / garage ■■

Joseph Rice ERF and a ERF from a fun fair.

Moreton Cullimore ERF

Two Tarmac Volvos.

Anyone recognise the Scania 142 tanker ■■

Anyone recognise the DAF 1900 tipper ■■

A.R.R. Craib DAF

Hicks DAF from South Wales.

Broadleaze Transport Magnum.

Servosteel Renault.

B T Hicks have a depot now in Rotherwas ,Hereford regards Keith

HRS:

240 Gardner:
That looks vaguely familiar - was that on Canute Road, heading down past Ocean Village towards the Itchen bridge?

Yes i was, did you used to wear pink shorts ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Harvey

Couldn’t find any in my size :wink:

I worked in Ocean Village for 8 years, 2001 to 2009