PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

Me.Paul.101:
Hi guy’s, The LV ERF straw transporter looks like possibly J Richards of Newent, I could of course be completely wrong. Looks like a tidy outfit whoever it is. I will show a mate of mine tomorrow as he was from over that way…Cheers, keep up the fantastic photo’s and chat. Always look forwards to looking in as you can never predict what’s coming next…

I never thought of John Richards, Paul. He and I drank in the same watering hole many years ago. At that time he was asking my advice on whether or not to invest in some ex-BRS LAD Chieftain units with half a dozen Scammell-coupled trailers for his fledgling hay & straw business. I tried to put him off the idea due to the fact that he was planning on dropping the trailers in various Cotswold farmers’ fields and I pointed out that a) they weren’t suitable for dropping on a field where, if it rained heavily he may have to dig them out and b)I could imagine that stability would be a problem when he had loaded bales eight or nine high on such a vehicle. I never did find out if he took my advice as I politely refused his kind offer of becoming his transport manager (“Driver”, to me & you!) preferring instead the better-paid and easier work offered by BRS at Merrin End.
Silly note: On his nightly visits to the said premises, John would open the sliding driver’s door of his Morris LD van, whereupon his collie would leap out and they would race the final half mile to the bar. I don’t think John ever came first!