Any old promotor drivers around

Great stuff Tony. We know the two photos of the D Series were taken in Tehran in 74 and with your knowledge of the company have, almost certainly, identified the driver as the late Roger Oakley. Supercube did post that Promotor did its first trip to Iran in 72 but I doubt we will ever know anything about that trip. He also said a young Australian driver did a trip to Moscow in January 72 in a D Series 1000. Unfortunately I believe we have now come to the end of this topic of conversation but I know there are still old Promotor men around who prefer not to post even though they pop in now and again. A great pity as there’s definitely still interesting information out there of the companies early days. One man who could shed some light on the early days is the irrepressible Stevie Smith. I am going to be staying very close to the village where he lives in Southern Spain for the next four months. I will try and track him down.

You mentioned the hideous old Pantech. It was, I am sure, still on the company in 78 when you and I, John Barclay and another driver called Skippy went down to Bucharest for Bannons. We collected the Pantech in Zeebrugge and I remember the false panel over the cab because we had to get to the engine as it wouldn’t start.

Promotor 666.jpg

Promotor 493.jpg