Davies Int. Southampton. With photos (Part 1)

John West:
When I went to Spain on honeymoon in 1974, it still appeared to me to be a third world country.

20 years later, when I think there were still only 12 stars on the flag, we had, through our taxes, dragged Spain and Portugal into the first world, giving them our banks and car industries among other things like motorways and railways, meanwhile, massively underinvesting in our own infrastructure.

Still, if we’d kept it there, we could probably have Greece up to speed by now and be back on an even keel.

Add another 15 third world countries, which had already been drained by the Soviet Union, to the mix, plus a massive influx of economic migrants…

So, 12 stars was probably a good point to pause for a while - about 100 years!

John.

John come to think about it that design on the side of our trailers was first installed in the very early 90’s so would concur your 12 star point, we used to only have the back doors sign written at first and we wanted summit different to the large lettering straight along the sides, at the time someone said we would stand on our heads for a good job and with the input from the sign writers this is what we still have today, albeit the stars did not exist at first just the wording but it did not look quite right so they were added PDQ. The super calibre line on the rear was concoction in the office one day on the lines of ABBA super trouper song and I have to put my hand up for that one and over the years has caused some laughter and phone calls from people following us, one woman rang to say her kids saw it and all day they were sing supercalifragilistic ( Mary Poppins)for the rest of the day, cheers Buzzer