Any old promotor drivers around

SEMAINE BRITTANIQUE au MAROC
Casablanca
12-16 Mars 1990

1. The end of the show.

The Britain in Morocco Exhibition was a great success especially for Promotor but even more so for Dave Stagg. Although he went on to organise other events this one would prove to be the pinnacle of his career. Within a few short years though Dave would lose his wife, his job and his will and finally his life. It was a terrible end for such a talented person.

The exhibition closed on Friday the 16 March and we had thirty hours to be out of the hotel. Dino and Fary were to dismantle the stands and Trevor Thayre, once he had packed up the BBC bus, helped Dave Lloyd and myself repack the exhibits. We had help from our agent who supplied labour to move the gear outside and into the two trailers that were to head across to Tunis where the second event was to take place a few weeks later. However, Trevor wouldn’t be joining us. The BBC were staying in Morocco and he drove the bus to BBC organised events in many locations around the country. Trevor did a great job for them and six months later the BBC asked him if he would like to work for them direct. He took the job and for the next three years did many trips for them including one memorable trip which stretched from Moscow down to the Iranian border.

Dave Stagg flew home the day after the event closed. Dino and Fary stayed on for another couple of days before flying back to Cyprus but not before Fary and I did some shopping for a leather jacket. Unfortunately the jacket would be stolen along with my passport from my vehicle whilst I was in Antibes in the south of France a year or so later. Dave Lloyd and I finally returned to the UK once everything had been cleared away from the hotel. I remember the flight home as it was with GB Airways and we landed in Gibraltar where they were based. Those lorry drivers who have driven to Gibraltar will know the road crosses the runway so every time a plane lands or takes off the road is closed.

Semaine Britannique au Maroc was over. It had been a fantastic experience and one I still look back on with pride. Considering it was put together by a small company and basically four lorry drivers or ex lorry drivers it was quite some achievement.