NHS, don't ever complain

I have nothing but praise for the NHS in this country. Until four years ago, I had only needed them once. Back in '89, I was going a bit rapid on my bicycle one Sunday morning and a car ‘never saw me’. Made a bit of a mess of me which resulted in me being on crutches for 6 months and several operations om my right leg. Then four years ago, I was taken quite ill, enough to force my medical retirement from driving trucks all round Europe. Since then, I have had quite a few stays in hospital, mainly when I get a chest infection, and each and every time I have had great treatment. My only complaint would be the consultant who told me in Jan '15, I had a max of 24 months to live!! I’m still here fighting :smiley: (I’m a ghost really).
But the wastage in the NHS is horrendous in my view. Just over two years ago, my Dad went in as an emergency, was discovered to have a ‘melon’ in his bowel which of course was cancer. He was operated on and into ICU. That was the Wednesday … on the Sunday evening we had a phone call to come up and then was told if any of the family wanted to come in, now was the time as they were going to take Dad off life support. My sister and I went up on the Monday morning to prepare for this horrible situation and expecting to see Dad pass away. Only when we got there, the senior consultant had decided not to do it and to keep Dad on LS. This prompted a huge row between myself and the consultant which I am sure the whole hospital heard. M sister threatened to have me banned from the ward if I kicked off again. I distinctly remember telling him ‘You think you’re God but the only Gods round here are the nurses who have to clear up all the ■■■■ after you’. This prompted the ward sister to burst into laughter. He was not happy.
The result was they kept Dad on LS for another 5 days before taking him off it and he died 20 minutes later. But how much did this cost?? A bed with the resultant 24 hour individual care in ICU and the relevant treatment must have cost thousands!! Just so the consultant could keep Dad alive another 5 days when he had no chance of surviving.