HGV Licence gone

Dear Colket.
I have Type 2 and have recently learnt that Type 1 diabetes Sufferers can now Drive HGV 1 if they test and record their blood readings every day to prove that they have had no “Hypo’s”!
Now when they drive they also have to Monitor and Record their Blood Sugar Levels every two hours !
All this also effects me as a Type 2 because I take “Glicklacide” tablets!
I have to do exactly the same “Blood Tests” every day and every two hours whilst driving!
Needless to say I am now seriously dieting, so that when I am “stable”, I can ask my doctor to prescribe a different type of drug than Glicklacide!
That will mean that I can just test my blood sugar levels just twice a day whilst driving and not every day of my life alike the Type 1 Diabetes drivers!
I am sure that Type 1 Diabetes drivers will be only to glad to undertake this “Testing” regime though so as to continue H.G.V driving!
If you check with the DVLA Medical Department I would say that they would confirm all of this!
I only learnt of this via a Google Search that brought up an article about the subject covered by a truck magazine article!!!
Also and very importantly: I had to make sure that I told my H.G.V Medical Examination Doctor that I was doing all of the required “Blood Sugar Level Blood Tests”!
There are a few things that I will be telephoning the DVLA Medical Department about soon.
I will ask them about their views on the new types of Constant Readings/Recording Blood Monitoring devises that have been developed.
(Teresa May wears one type of them).
Will or does the DVLA recognise them as Bona Fide Blood Sugar Level Monitoring/Recording Devices so that I could wear and use one?
I do hope that I can use one because I find the Blood Testing “Lancets” a little to painful to use repeatedly!
Perhaps someone out there knows a little more about the constant Blood Sugar Levels Monitoring/Recording side of life and could “Write in” ?
Like where and how does one get them, how to use them and are they recognised by the D.V.L.A?
I do hope that this “Letter” helps you Colket and others so that you all may: “Keep on Trucking”!
If it was easy everyone would be driving H.G.V!
My best regards to all of us “Special Ones”!
Rob.

@Rob Volvo 1.

It might be worth bearing in mind that the last post in this thread was dated Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:09 am, add to that the OP Colket hasn’t visited the forum since Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 am.

As far as Im aware, if you can provide proof of your blood sugar readings, thereby proving your management, via insulin injections is okay, they will give you back your entitlement. But it has to be over a certain period, and has to be ongoing.

Just been told I’m getting my licence back,took me 8 months mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like DMG / DVLA are still ignoring ‘Driven to Despair’ and PHSO are letting them… which is even more incomprehensible.

I know its different for me but I lost mine in aug after suffering a ishemic stroke got to wait a year before taking a medical. I believe the same applies if you suffer an heart attack assuming you have told dvla.not to sure how stringent it will be can only hope I pass. I feel for those of you in a similar situation

DVLA had great pleasure at telling me my class one will be revoked due to my diabetes.Just because i inject insulin once a day.SO P***ed OFF

You can understand their reasoning, but it’s bloody harsh and why so many drivers keep stuff hidden from the docs - whether it be depression, diabetes (some know they’ve got it and know how to control it with diet and stuff, not the insulin types though) etc.

Bad luck mate :angry: Have you got anything else you can do?

BIGRIG:
Bad luck mate :angry: Have you got anything else you can do?

Its all i have done since i was 21 now 49…i really dont know what to do

Sorry to hear that mate.

sonsorry to hear ure bad news, bout time the goverment changed the law on it, my dad has epilrpsy but can still drive its wrong.

Sorry to hear this ! There is a new eu rule that diabetes cases should be individually assessed but as usual dvla are dragging their heels and have done nothing about it yet ! It’s in a sticky somewhere on here .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

am sorry to hear that,they did that to my dad a few months ago,he had a triple heart bypass but has made a great recovery and is back to full health,he was even driving for a while until they decided he can no longer have his HGV licences so now all he can drive is up to 7.5t… :cry:

I don’t understand the decisions they come to, I know a couple of drivers that inject insulin and keep their licence, others have it taken away from them, why is this?

Have a look at this

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50899

Sorry to here that can understand as they did revoke my licence a few years back although I did get it back after a bit but took a while mine was something different though

Good luck with things

I’m sorry to read you’ve lost your licence, not sure how to find it but I think there was a thread on here saying rules had been changed covering diabetic drivers. I don’t know if you can do anything about their decsion on your licence but it may have some information useful for you.

BB

I was ok taking 5 tablets a day to control my diabetes…i still take them plus 1 insulin injection a day.
The tablets was not working very well But i could still drive a truck…so 1 injection blood sugars are good and i car`nt drive…sorry but makes no sense to me…thanks for your replys

Trev_H:
I don’t understand the decisions they come to, I know a couple of drivers that inject insulin and keep their licence, others have it taken away from them, why is this?

They’ve probably kept their traps shut about it, rightly or wrongly. I think what the dvla are scared of is if someone forgets their injection, or otherwise fails to take it , they’ll have an attack of somekind that’ll adversely affect their driving.
It’s really bad luck to have your livelihood wiped away at the stroke of a pen especially now we’ve got the caring-sharing-Tories propped up by their Lib/Dem lackeys in the driving seat yet again. These cases must be assesed on their own individual merit. I know of a few drivers who inject insulin, and have therefore had their entitlements revoked, but because they are prompt in their testing/injecting regime, they manage to function properly, so it is therfoe unfair that they are unable to drive trucks. It’s the type who is in denial that is the dangerous one, and, ultimately, the one that all the legislation is aimed at.

papermonkey:

Trev_H:

They’ve probably kept their traps shut about it, rightly or wrongly. I think what the dvla are scared of is if someone forgets their injection, or otherwise fails to take it , they’ll have an attack of somekind that’ll adversely affect their driving.
It’s really bad luck to have your livelihood wiped away at the stroke of a pen especially now we’ve got the caring-sharing-Tories propped up by their Lib/Dem lackeys in the driving seat yet again. These cases must be assesed on their own individual merit. I know of a few drivers who inject insulin, and have therefore had their entitlements revoked, but because they are prompt in their testing/injecting regime, they manage to function properly, so it is therfoe unfair that they are unable to drive trucks. It’s the type who is in denial that is the dangerous one, and, ultimately, the one that all the legislation is aimed at.

The one of them I know has definitely informed them and now has to have yearly medicals to keep his licence but hasn’t had it revoked :confused:
Another driver was diagnosed with type 2 but needs no medication i.e. he controls it by diet, dvla asked him to send in his licence as they would need to consider whether he could keep his lgv entitlement :open_mouth:
It seems they make the rules up themselves.