Palletways Fradley

Hi,
Just had a call from Palletways. I applied for a class 2 job on their website last friday, and they want me to come on interview, but first need to wait will my CPC and licence will come back. I know some people who worked with them for max one/two weeks, and they didnt like it, but they dont want to tell me what was wrong. Maybe someone from this forum is working/worked for MTH/MHT there and can tell me something about this company? Thats gonna be my first job on class 2 and got an offer from agencies for more money (pushing to go LTD), but Palletways has contract, less money, but guarantee nights at home. Any info will appreciate. Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve not worked at palletways but I’ve done deliveries for another known pallet network named pall-ex In the past for over 10 years thankfully not anymore . which is the exact same type of work delivering all different manor of goods could be anything from a motorbike to a 3 piece sweat to 1 tonne bag of gravel . where sometimes they expect you to drag the pallet up an incline gravel drive which some customers take offence when you tell them it’s not possible it will Be left kerb side you will be delivering to both residential properties and businesses that’s why some people only last a day or even a week as they can’t hack doing which I don’t blame them

Not specifically worked for those, but never heard anything bad about them either. Pallet work is usually hard graft depending how many tail lift jobs you get on that specific day. If doing business drops they are usually not bad, or you get it forklifted off.

Residential can be fun but if it’s not doable safely then phone the office. Also if you can’t access the location, phone the office. They might not be too happy sometimes, but they’ll be less happy if the pallet falls off or you hit something. Its up to the driver basically. They shouldn’t give stupid drops such as 1T pallets on taillift but sometimes they don’t look at the details properly.

If you go agency you’ll likely end up doing the same thing but with no job security whatsoever although upto 2 years you don’t have an awful lot, but they’ll likely treat you slightly better.

My mate worked there and said they docked his pay to cover a scrape he had. He also said the agency guys were on £2 an hour more. However, they’ll give you a few days training.

I’d do it for a few months and then go and get on an agency job that pays £2.50 more an hour.

My mate was on £26k at Palletways and both him and I now make £30-£35k on agency.

Be prepared to graft. Winter is coming so plenty of 1T pallets of road salt.

Everything is ordered online nowadays so be prepared to deliver whatever Mrs. McGlumphy has decided to order without any thought for how its actually going to be delivered.

Will improve your driving skills & make you appreciate the need to take proper breaks as per your daily driving hours. Dont make the mistake many do putting the tacho on rest when you at a drop to save time. Take the rest youve earned.

good luck :wink:

IIRC Palletways have reduced the max weight of a pallet from 1ton to 750Kgs after a driver fell off a tail lift trying to move it. I worked for a firm that had Palletway stuff on the rigid side.

Thanks for that :slight_smile:
Probably will take agency work "all year they promise :smiley: " and £13 for weekdays on LTD to £15 doing store delivery with cages, palletways offers £11.50 but fixed term contract. Nothing just wait for my driving licence and CPC :neutral_face: hopefully will arrive next week :slight_smile:

I just want to give a balanced view of Palletways. The OP could have been me, Palletways offered me a job and I just had to wait for my CPC card to arrive before they gave me a start date (28th November in the end).

It’s been everything I needed to learn the ropes in the trade. Fairly good training on the paperwork and POD side of things, two days out with a trainer before heading out on your own. They have offered unpaid but free CPC training (which I’ve declined for the time being as I’ve the best part of 5 years to go). I’ve had a few nightmare shifts in the middle of Birmingham but never felt I couldn’t handle anything. The last couple of weeks have been quiet (although a lot of drivers have been off) and we’ve been leaving an hour or two early and still getting the full day in pay.

Can’t help but feel the OP missed a decent opportunity however I see on another post he found full time work in the end after a bad experience with an agency.

manicpb:
I just want to give a balanced view of Palletways. The OP could have been me, Palletways offered me a job and I just had to wait for my CPC card to arrive before they gave me a start date (28th November in the end).

It’s been everything I needed to learn the ropes in the trade. Fairly good training on the paperwork and POD side of things, two days out with a trainer before heading out on your own. They have offered unpaid but free CPC training (which I’ve declined for the time being as I’ve the best part of 5 years to go). I’ve had a few nightmare shifts in the middle of Birmingham but never felt I couldn’t handle anything. The last couple of weeks have been quiet (although a lot of drivers have been off) and we’ve been leaving an hour or two early and still getting the full day in pay.

Can’t help but feel the OP missed a decent opportunity however I see on another post he found full time work in the end after a bad experience with an agency.

Hello Mr Palletways. Why do you dock your drivers for damage? That’s what insurance is for. Come on let’s hear it.

SuperMultiBlue:
Hello Mr Palletways. Why do you dock your drivers for damage? That’s what insurance is for. Come on let’s hear it.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum!?!

I’ve worked there for 5 weeks, how the ■■■■ am I going to tell you about someone who got docked for damaging a lorry (probably 5 years ago)?

I considered passing up on this job because of reading some posts on here, but I’m definitely better off here than in the hands of an agency which seemed to be the overall consensus. I keep reading that a new pass Class 2 won’t find more than £10 an hour and here Palletways are paying a minimum 48 hours (which again an agency wouldn’t) at £11.50.

Go for it then. It’ll defo get you some valuable experience. Just make sure you check your manifest first thing and ask for an electric pump truck if needed.