Agency questions

After being away travelling for the last 8 months it’s time to find a job until the spring. Not really wanting to go back on the tools for a short stint I thought that agency driving work may be a better bet for the next 4 or 5 months until we go off again in the camper.
Questions: I’ve driven a truck only once in the last 8 years, is this likely to be a barrier to getting back into it?

I’ve never done any type of agency work before, but I worked with agency cleaners on the buses who had to pay for payslips and we’re having deductions from their wages other than tax and NI. Is this normal agency procedure?
There seems to be a lot of work around here (Worcester)
but are they likely to take anyone on for just a short stint?
Cheers, John

Effectively they’ll see you as a new driver so might be harder to get work initially depending on the various company policies, but up to Christmas you might find some. It’s after Christmas that things might get tricker with agencies as sometimes it falls off a cliffedge so they’ll tend to give work to the people with a longer driving history. If you’ll take on class C work then pallet companies might still be looking. Could also be worth investing in a refresher course especially if you’ve not had much to do with trucks recently - autoboxes are now the norm.

One thing though - have you done your 35 hours CPC in the past few years (ideally 3 or less). Guessing not if you’ve not driven for 8 years and it only lasts 5 years. So that’s likely another 500 quid or so to fork out and a week of your life which you may not survive (if boredom can kill). :slight_smile:

Also depending on your age, check when your HGV entitlement expires as you might need a new medical depending on age. That’s not stupidly expensive, usually about 50 - 80 quid.

With regards agencies - if you can get on PAYE you shouldn’t have anything more to pay beyond normal tax etc. but watch out for “umbrella schemes” and avoid LTD like the plague even if they claim you’ll get paid more - yeah you will because you’ve not paid the tax at that rate. The former charges you for doing your tax, and the latter stores up potential major tax problems. PAYE is the only way to go and there are agencies who will do it.

If you’re an experienced HGV fitter, are you sure there aren’t people who’ll take you on for 6 months? Seems to be very good pay compared to driving and some places might give you a job as a shunter / fitter. No CPC, tacho card, medical usually required.

Btw, don’t believe most of the ads you see on Indeed etc. 95% don’t exist especially when they mention “blue chip companies” and “trunking”. Who’s ever seen a blue chip!?

Thanks for the reply.
I renewed my license in February ( I’m 47) and my cpc is good until September 2019, I only need to get one more module in and it’s good to go again for a few more years.
I’ve got an up to date digi card but I’ve never used it. I’ve only ever used a chart , so I’d need a bit of training there.
Auto is not a big worry as all buses are auto and I used to drive an auto Daf CF years ago, though I do prefer a twin split or a 16 speed zf, especially for working on.
I’ve been a truck and bus mechanic for 30+ years but after asking around it seems unlikely that anyone will take take me for a short term. I’ve asked about going back to my old place ( bus garage ) and I’m waiting for an answer.
So I’ll avoid the self employed/ umbrella set up and go paye.
I met a friend yesterday who is driving for Owens at their Droitwich depot and he loves it. Apparently they’re looking at starting someone at the moment and there is loads of ads for drivers in Droitwich and a shunting job in Worcester 5 mins walk from my house. If I don’t get an answer from my old place by Monday then I’ll be on the phone chasing those up.
Cheers, John

trevHCS:
Btw, don’t believe most of the ads you see on Indeed etc. 95% don’t exist especially when they mention “blue chip companies” and “trunking”. Who’s ever seen a blue chip!?

Just looked in the bottom of the fridge and found quite a few … :slight_smile:

Sorted, back on the tools with a 4 month contract. Keeps me busy until the end of March and then we go off travelling again for a few months. Thanks for the replies to my initial questions.