Roger pickering photo's

Jelliot:

Buzzer:

Jelliot:
I’m petty sure that brown Strato was doing northern Italy Mid to late 90’s … IIRC it used to run south with IFOR, and come back in through Nova Garitzia…

Jeff…

Hi Jeff in the early 90’s we had 30+ trucks in our fleet and we did a hell of a lot of IFOR work subcontracting to JSL ( Janerite ) from Stoke on Trent there was one other subcontractor doing that work also on for JSL, the operation was run by Hogg Robinson and when JSL got the contract from them they approached us as we had fridges and we had always done one load a month of china plates to Spain as they never went there, initially we did all the foodstuffs to a freezer ship which was moored in the docks in Split, we shipped from Ancona but later we got involved with the general traffic as well, it was good work as you were vetted by HR as were JSL and the other subbie, it was not work that got subbed out to any Tom, ■■■■ or Harry which was good for us, the only problem we had was too many drivers together and we all know what happens then especially when they have had a few drinks.
Later on we started to go overland doing the job through Germany, the good thing about that was relaxed driving restrictions on IFOR work if you had tour plates up, some times got held up at the Karawanken tunnel though, we did a lot of hazardous loads like oil and petrol in jerry cans stacked in stillages, we also took out two scimmeter tanks in the back of a fridge but not a lot of room then.
Not sure if your Strato man was on for IFOR but may have tipped to air force bases which were in Italy, in the end we lost the job as Steady Eddie bought out JSL so they got the Government contract, then there was a big piece in a truck magazine about them being hero’s looking after our troops but by then we had been doing the job for seven or eight years, typical that though, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Buzzer… I used to see it appearing from the Garitizia area a few times and there’s not much out in that direction other than Lubjana ect . so I’m not 100% sure what he was up to as I never really got involved in other folks business. I’m pretty sure the guy had 2 of them, one was brown and other was silver and light blue, often saw them run together
We used to do the odd load for NATO through Hangartner. When they were still a proper transport company…I got out of European transport just before the blight of ESL surged forward and consumed all.
One thing that ESL are good at … PR…

That silver Foden looks like the one that Dave Murphy used to run out the west country to Scotland, it used to have a big thistle painted on the roof and quit often reloaded out of Cabber Boar.

Jeff…

Hi Jeff,
Thank you fo rthe info on the Foden with the SCACS trailer on, Pete