Which Union should I join?

And, indeed, what Unions are available and actually do a good job?
Having had 2, very minor, infringements (One was my boss as he did a printout for me, forgetting to set other work before starting the procedure, lost 4 minutes)
And also I am on Crew Report tomorrow because of a customer complaint.
Could be about me, could be about the other guy I was working with (different teams every day)
But, I’m feeing like I need some form of protection.
Recommendations?
Thanks

I doubt any union would get involved with tachograph infringements, basically you just need to sign the printout and then everybody goes away happy. As for the crew report thing, it’s probably best to wait and see what it’s all about.

Harry Monk:
I doubt any union would get involved with tachograph infringements, basically you just need to sign the printout and then everybody goes away happy. As for the crew report thing, it’s probably best to wait and see what it’s all about.

Yep, cheers H, seems to be the general opinion. Thanks :slight_smile:

00:15
been home for 2 hours.
Off to bed,
On the bus at 08:44,
Get to hump washing machines around all day
Loving it!
:smiley:

steviespain:
Could be about me, could be about the other guy I was working with (different teams every day)
Recommendations?
Thanks

At around the age of 4 you developed the ability to know when you’d done something wrong.

If nothing immediately springs to mind then you are either 3yrs old, or you have done nothing wrong.

steviespain:
And, indeed, what Unions are available and actually do a good job?
Having had 2, very minor, infringements (One was my boss as he did a printout for me, forgetting to set other work before starting the procedure, lost 4 minutes)
Recommendations?
Thanks

From thirty years personal experience I wouldn’t bother they were a waste of money in my case. Reps. were only interested in themselves and keeping the bosses sweet.

Union Reps are like a legalised grass, the company give them the best trucks in return for time off and to tell them what’s going on with the drivers

Another point about signing an infringement notice, it’s an internal check and you’re not admitting guilt to VOSA / DVSA

Infringement information allows someone to input KPI figures for some pompous director to pore over at the golf club.

The only Union to join is the one at your depot, as they are normally the only one recognised by the company and they should give the Reps time to be present at any disciplinary meetings. Also good Reps will know terms & conditions etc.

Some bigger depots may have different unions for Drivers (Unite/URTU) and warehouse workers (USDAW).

Also it may be to late, as many union rules state subscriptions need to be paid before commencement of any disciplinary action.

Think of joining a Union as like having RAC/AA breakdown cover, you pay it in the hope you don’t need to use it, but do so as peace of mind.

Wheel Nut:
Another point about signing an infringement notice, it’s an internal check and you’re not admitting guilt to VOSA / DVSA

Infringement information allows someone to input KPI figures for some pompous director to pore over at the golf club.

You have to keep infringement reports so that if DVSA wander by you can ‘prove’ that you are monitoring those two minutes over once a month, because then it shows How Very Seriously you take these things. Snooooooze.

Stevie, customers whine about all sorts of total irrelevancy which the company then have to acknowledge, It’s probably nothing, It could be the other guy. If it is you and it’s serious, which since you haven’t a clue it won’t be, you would have your chance to put your side of the story . And as you can be sacked pretty much for anything in the first two years, union or not, it’s pretty irrelevant.

All that being said - I know Stevie is an agency driver (as I am). And he is working for a reasonably decent firm.

I can’t see any union having any interest in helping an agency driver. It’s not in the full-timers interests for you to be looked after… I’ve never met an agency driver who is part of a workplace union. And I have certainly never been asked to join one.

Conceptually I’m all for unions - and I think they can be a good thing for both the driver and a company. All I shall say is what I see in reality isn’t that… More like babies threatening to go to the union if they don’t get the truck they want, or the run/shift length they want. An insult to the men who joined unions historically so they could earn enough to feed their families, or to get companies to provide basic safety procedures to stop unnecessary deaths.

Sixtiesboy you say the only one to join is the one at your depot.
Fair advice but what if the depot or indeed the whole company has no union at all?
Been with a company for over 3 years which is non union and the strokes they’re trying to pull is frightening.
Following this thread as I’d like to know the best one to join too.

waddy640:
From thirty years personal experience I wouldn’t bother they were a waste of money in my case. Reps. were only interested in themselves and keeping the bosses sweet.

The thing is Waddy that like everything in life everyone’s experiences of unions will differ. The only time a union has left a bitter taste in my mouth was during the fuel strikes when the then leader of the TGWU (Morris?) was urging his members to lift the blockades, he had his eye on his Knighthood and wasn’t gonna let the little man screw that up :imp:

Apart from that occasion all my experiences have been positive. Case in point, right now I am for the first time in my life on the sick after twisting my ankle and damaging a wrist after a fall. I get for a maximum of 6 months the equivalent of my average pay over the last 12 weeks (like holiday pay). I don’t think for one minute that my bosses are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, rather it is something that has been negotiated over time by my union. So for me union membership is a yes.

Steve66:
Been with a company for over 3 years which is non union and the strokes they’re trying to pull is frightening.

Same here mate, that combined with yes men/servile drivers accepting ■■■■, just makes the job one long ■■■■ take.
All these anti Union guys on here want to take note, that whether they like it or not, or whether it fits in with their opinionated views,… that drivers who have full union backing have much better conditions in this job…fact.

the maoster:

waddy640:

The thing is Waddy that like everything in life everyone’s experiences of unions will differ. The only time a union has left a bitter taste in my mouth was during the fuel strikes when the then leader of the TGWU (Morris?) was urging his members to lift the blockades, he had his eye on his Knighthood and wasn’t gonna let the little man screw that up :imp:

Apart from that occasion all my experiences have been positive. Case in point, right now I am for the first time in my life on the sick after twisting my ankle and damaging a wrist after a fall. I get for a maximum of 6 months the equivalent of my average pay over the last 12 weeks (like holiday pay). I don’t think for one minute that my bosses are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, rather it is something that has been negotiated over time by my union. So for me union membership is a yes.

You’ve hit the nail on the head there, you only find out what they are like when you need them.

robroy:

Steve66:

Same here mate, that combined with yes men/servile drivers accepting [zb], just makes the job one long ■■■■ take.
All these anti Union guys on here want to take note, that whether they like it or not, or whether it fits in with their opinionated views,… that drivers who have full union backing have much better conditions in this job…fact.

I can honestly say that if my lads were in a union ( and some may be for all I know, but I don’t think more than one is), that it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to our ts & cs.

Albion I understand what you mean about the man from the ministry wandering in. I can remember when they popped in for a cup of tea and get any juicy gossip. These days they only seem to come in all guns blazing once they have their evidence.

As for unions it’s only my experience of them that made me bitter and twisted.

Can you imagine 30 to 40 years ago pulling onto a dockside or car manufacturers site in a plain motor and telling them you are zero hours contract with an agency.

albion:

robroy:

Steve66:

Same here mate, that combined with yes men/servile drivers accepting [zb], just makes the job one long ■■■■ take.

I can honestly say that if my lads were in a union ( and some may be for all I know, but I don’t think more than one is), that it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to our ts & cs.

Yeh, ok there are exceptions to that, I was speaking broadly.
It’s well known that most haulage firms today treat their drivers ranging from a necessary evil to ■■■■ on their shoes, on the other hand I have worked for 2 very good non union/no need firms that treated me very well and I reciprocated accordinglly, ‘‘Team firms’’ as opposed to ‘‘Them and us firms’’ . :bulb: Unfortunately the latter fail to see that treating their drivers that way is counter productive, in terms of you only reap what you sow. :bulb: , unless of course the drivers are dead from the neck up, and just ■■■■ up any old crap while giving 100 % to their own detriment, but are too thick to realise they’re being exploited in various degrees. :unamused:

robroy:

albion:

robroy:

Steve66:

Yeh, ok there are exceptions to that, I was speaking broadly.
It’s well known that most haulage firms today treat their drivers ranging from a necessary evil to [zb] on their shoes, on the other hand I have worked for 2 very good non union/no need firms that treated me very well and I reciprocated accordinglly, ‘‘Team firms’’ as opposed to ‘‘Them and us firms’’ . :bulb: Unfortunately the latter fail to see that treating their drivers that way is counter productive, in terms of you only reap what you sow. :bulb: , unless of course the drivers are dead from the neck up, and just ■■■■ up any old crap while giving 100 % to their own detriment, but are too thick to realise they’re being exploited in various degrees. :unamused:

I knew what you meant, i just felt honour bound to point out there are about ten firms, soon to be 9 :wink: , that do try overall to maintain a decent working relationship.

I’m not a big union man, but as they negotiate a pay rise for me I feel it’s work being in. Also the op says he is on crew report, wtf is that?

United Road Transport Union is good.
Join a union. If only for the legal representation.