20 and wanting to drive in Europe

As many of you may know the age to get your class 1 licence changed just under 10 years ago from 21 to 18

As soon as I turned 18 I began as a drivers mate for quite a big company learning all the basics strapping, roping sheeting ect. I then got my class 2 just before I turned 19 multi dropping in a 18 tonner until a week after my 20th birthday I passed my class 1 and became a night driver trucking with a double decker from national hubs, ive been doing this for about 9 months now.

But my main question is in my 5 to 10 year plan I want to start doing international work but I don’t know how to go about it in the future as all jobs adrevtised say I need expireance in international work which I can’t obtain without being given a chance?

I live in Preston and can’t think of hardly any firms that do international near me I’m willing to travel an hour or so to work can anyone think of any firms in that area of the northwest?

Thanks

If you’re doing Eu work you’ll not be commuting daily. So don’t limit yourself to an hour’s drive of home.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

If you are single you also have the possibility to go abroad and work for a foreign Company.In many countries they are not so fussy about experience because when you work as a ''newbie’they can teach you their way of working.

Irish will give you a start, so will most firms once you go east of koln.

Just depends how much you want to do europe against how much you want to earn and in what conditions.

People who bang on about there being no oppurtunitys are the ones who expect it to fall in there lap.

Bossess see how much people want it, and also how lazy they are.

It seems our story is quite similar. I also started as a drivers mate when i was 18 for a company called Dunster House and passed my class 2 a month before my 19th. Learnt alot working there, but same as you i wanted to go bigger and better and eventually into Europe. The best advice i can give you is to keep any eye out for any european transport companies near you and just phone them and explain your situation. Ive done work both on Class 2 & 1 for two different companies going over to the mainland and after telling them im only 21 they were actually quite keen to get me onboard, because it means they can teach you there way of doing things and potentially they have someone who can offer more years of service than a guy whos 60 and going to retire in a couple of years time. You might get turned away from a couple of places but someone out there will give you a chance, you’ve just got to be keen and willing to learn, and when you finally get let loose over the otherside you’ll absolutely love it.

Pm a fella on here by the name of “Radar” he’s a young guy living his Euro dream for one of the rock and roll moving outfits. He should be able to give you some tips or maybe even a foot in the door if you’re lucky/ right place right time.

Just to echo what franglais says, I’ve got two lads work out of our Stevenage yard, but one lives Manchester, one lives not far out of Preston. If the job is right, then you don’t need to work close to home.

Good luck.

albion:
Just to echo what franglais says, I’ve got two lads work out of our Stevenage yard, but one lives Manchester, one lives not far out of Preston. If the job is right, then you don’t need to work close to home.

Good luck.

Quick question Albion after your above comment, do you have outbased drivers living in Europe working for you, France, Belgium or Holland for example ?

Not looking for employment, just asking . I know that FTL based in Portsmouth have 2 living here in Northern France

pierrot 14:

albion:

Good luck.

Quick question Albion after your above comment, do you have outbased drivers living in Europe working for you, France, Belgium or Holland for example ?

Not looking for employment, just asking . I know that FTL based in Portsmouth have 2 living here in Northern France

And one of them is a very strange chap :laughing:

No I don’t have any based abroad, it wouldn’t make sense for us. Some weeks we don’t have any abroad, the weeks we do, we might have a flurry in Sweden, then nothing there for months, then Italy, then none there.

And I think you haven’t read my thread this week on the Operators board :wink:

albion:

Just have :open_mouth: Think that it’s the first time I’ve been there.

All I can say is good luck for the future.

pierrot 14:

albion:

Just have :open_mouth: Think that it’s the first time I’ve been there.

All I can say is good luck for the future.

Ooo, New territory :smiley: .

Thanks pierrot

And a little while ago Albion said summat to the effect
“I can see the attraction of being an owner driver” … …
In the time honoured tradition of TNUK concerning leaps and molehill are we to expect Peter S to report a celebrity pupil in a few months time?
Will Miss A be joining us?
Or will her common sense hold good?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

the maoster:
Pm a fella on here by the name of “Radar” he’s a young guy living his Euro dream for one of the rock and roll moving outfits. He should be able to give you some tips or maybe even a foot in the door if you’re lucky/ right place right time.

The statement of willing to drive an hour by the OP suggests they don’t want to be away long.

People say they want Euro work normally and follower up with “But I want to be home Friday” ha. Radar and the other rock and roll boys are disappearing for 3 months+

I do 3 weeks trips during F1 Euro season and that’s enough for me right now.

Try Visbeen.

Quite a few Brits on there.

Give Bowker a ring.

Geoffo:
Try Visbeen.

Think most of the Brits on there are employed through an agency whether it is a Dutch or UK one I don’t know.

As has been said above , if you fancy Europe it really doesn’t matter about the commute . The firm I work for are looking for drivers and there seem to be a few young lads cutting their teeth here at the moment , which is good to see. You won’t get home much but you will drive in every country in Europe and a few outside besides . We currently have 8 trucks down in Marrakesh for instance.
Pm me if you want any more help .

Mazzer2:

Geoffo:
Try Visbeen.

Think most of the Brits on there are employed through an agency whether it is a Dutch or UK one I don’t know.

I wouldn’t know Mazzer. Still worth a try for the OP though.

Caffrey and Visbeen are both currently looking for drivers, with Caffrey you will cover most of Europe for Caffrey the ad is in the latest truckstop paper and for Visbeen go to their website