Any old promotor drivers around

Early May 1983 saw me in Herr Stagg’s office. “Used to be in the building trade didn’t you Mr Holmes?” he casually asked. “What was it, carpenter, decorator?”. We had all heard it before and immediately alarm bells started ringing. Herr Stagg wasn’t interested in your past only what he could get out of you in the future. “Maybe, could have been, possibly, why are you asking” were the obvious replies. “Well, I’ve taken on this little job specially for you” he said. It was at that point I knew I was doomed. No point in arguing. Either find another job or accept your fate. “Don’t worry” he said. “You’ll love it. Hotel every night, all found, very little driving and you get to come home by train”.

Dave then gave me the lowdown on the job. I was to build a stand in the Messe in Koln for a company from London. They owned the stand and it was all crated up in four or five crates. Dave would have it loaded in one of our 7.5t box lorries and I was to trundle it out to Koln, the load was on an ATA carnet so clear customs, build the stand, put the crates back in the lorry which was to remain in the exhibition ground and then come home by train. I was to go out five days later to dismantle the stand and bring it back. A few questions immediately came to mind. What tools do I need, how much can I spend on hotels and as almost all stands are built by two or more people will I be paid more for doing it myself. It was at this point a beetroot colour always appeared on his neck before working its way up his face to the top of his head. Blimey I hope I’m not going to be blamed if he has a heart attack I thought. It was at this point all the drivers knew it was time to make a tactical retreat before a telephone or stapler was hurled at you.

A few days later saw me in the Messe, or Exhibition ground, in Koln. It was a very simple procedure to clear customs at a Messe in Germany especially if the goods were on an ATA carnet. I also had to visit the exhibition organisers office to identify the space allocated to us to build the stand and at the same time find some accommodation for myself. They always had a list of small guest houses situated nearby and I chose one just around the corner. A telephone call by a young girl in the office secured a room for me for the next five nights and a request for a forklift in the same office saw the crates unloaded and placed on the ground around the stand. By then I was up and running. However, it wasn’t all plain sailing. After laying the carpet I went in search of the tools Herr Stagg had told me were in one of the crates. With the system being installed a ratchet allen key was needed and I couldn’t find one anywhere. I had brought some ordinary allen keys out with me so made a start erecting the stands using them but I was getting nowhere fast. Whilst I was struggling to make a show a super efficient German team of standfitters on the other side of the isle took pity on me and came over with a couple of their old ratchet tools and presented them to me. I must admit I felt very humble by their actions but at the same time hugely relieved as I would never have completed the job without their help.

The digs I had booked were fine. It was just a B & B in a small town house and I was their first ever customer. They were a young couple who ran it and there was only one letting room. OK by me but they didn’t do an evening meal so I went out in the evening and found this restaurant run by a Dutchman. It was great. I remember they did a speciality dish of white asparagus every evening as a starter. I got talking to the Dutchman and found he did letting rooms above the restaurant so booked myself in for when I returned for the pullout. I completed the build and handed it over in the morning the day before the exhibition was due to open. As I had nothing to do for the rest of the day I did the tourist bit down by the river and at the same time checked out the train times. Now I’m not 100% sure but I think I got a train from Koln direct through to Oostende, no changing anywhere. I departed early next morning for an uneventful train journey except for one thing that happened en route. As train approached the border with Belgium, German police or immigration officials came round to check passports. I had with me one of my ninety page passports almost full of stamps from all over. The official started going through it page at a time and after what seemed like an age he looked at me and said or made a sound like “phew” then handed it back and was gone. Once we had crossed the border the procedure was repeated by the Belgiums only this time the two officials didn’t bother with anyone else. They came straight to me and asked for my passport. After thumbing through it they asked a few questions looked at one another almost in disbelief, gave it back to me and disappeared. No doubt going back to discuss it with their German counterparts.

Four or five days later I was back in Koln for the pullout. For some strange reason Dave decided I could have help dismantling the stand and made arrangements for Tommy Birch to help. I’m not sure if Tommy was making a delivery to the fairground or to the Ford factory in the town but I certainly didn’t complain. It only took a couple of days to wrap the job up do customs and be on my way home. Wasn’t the most exciting of jobs but it was different.