Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

newmercman:

Chris Webb:

stevejones:
well chris canada upto 50 ton basically but gross running into usa is only 80.000ibs some exceptions on that but 99per cent you only allowed 40ton gross

Thanks Steve. Does that just apply to a five axled artic? Do you run double bottom outfits in Canada and would the gross be higher than 50 tons?
I know the separate states in US can be a pain with different weights allowed,I was told California was the worst.

80,000lbs GVW in the USA for 3+2 go anywhere outfits, some of the Western States allow Triaxles to run at higher weights, some allow B trains at 140,000lbs, I think it’s only the Dakotas, Montana, Nebraska and Idaho, but there may be more. Utah and Nevada run some multi axle stuff, but I’m not sure of the GVW they allow,

The Pacific Northwest has some weird 4axle units and 4axle trailer outfits for heavier weights, if they run into Canada and have to lift the 4th axle on unit and trailer and run as 3+3. Then there’s Michigan and South Dakota that run those mad multi axle jobbies. Anything other than 80,000lbs on 5axles is going to require permits though.

Canada its 39,500kgs on 5axles, 3+2, 46,500kgs on 6axles, 3+3 and 63,500kgs for B trains and turnpike doubles.

Here’s mine at 63,500kgs. 9axles, 41m long. I have very tight restrictions on where I can go with it, if I don’t have a permit for it, including access roads to truck stops or new roads/bypasses, then I can’t use them.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nice outfit Newmercman, but that looks like an A-train to me, am I right? And can you explain what a turnpike double is please? Also, does the boss insist on having the aerofoil down in order to show the company name, or had you just been running with a flat?

On the subject of A versus B trains, can anyone explain why B is the norm and A old fashioned? IMO As follow much better round corners, so what is the point of a B? Obviously I have never driven a B, but I have seen them on corners and needing splitting and re-connecting.