Blocking London for brexit

muckles:

Winseer:
Has everyone forgotten the 20th century?

It was this period of time you see, that only came to an end a generation ago… That’s Pre-year 2000, when we got told another batch of bull scare stories regarding the Y2K bug that was going to blow up all our computers, and melt our brains…

Yes there were many scare stories about Y2k from an uninformed media looking for a sensational headline, but there was also a lot of work done by IT departments across the World to avoid the potential consequences of the Y2K issue, (it wasn’t a bug, just a legacy from the early days of programming)

As a programmer from the 80’s before I got a C+E licence - I can tell you that the so-called “early days of programming” issue was dealt with in FULL when computers went first from 8 bit to 16 bit by the end of the 80’s, and then 16 bit to 32 bit around the millenium. Nowadays, they are 64 bit as “entry level”, with 128 bit being the higher order “number crunching” machines used for banking, and encryption.

The Y2K issue didn’t worry the computer people of the 80’s and 90’s then - any more than the advent of synchromesh gearboxes taking over during the same period…

I was taught on my HGV course how to “double de-clutch” and “change gears by mathching revs, in the event of a clutch failure”.
Don’t see much call for those particular skills these days - but it’s still handy to know. I don’t think it is ever possible to know “too much” about one’s job. :slight_smile: