Blocking London for brexit

Franglais:

Carryfast:
Why would the EU have any issues with US food imports when even its own rules state that it has no general issues with the import or cultivation of GM foods.While US meat and fruit and manufacturing imports can obviously already meet EU regs anyway which is why I can buy a Ford Mustang from the local Ford dealer and have the choice of buying numerous Australian,NZ,South African or US food products from numerous local supermarkets and shops but all obviously subject to EU tarrif barriers which is obviously more the point.The truth is there is no problem other than the artificial problems imposed by just as there’s no problem with the movement of goods and people across the Irish border. just as there’s no problem with the movement of goods and people across the Irish border.

While there’s nothing in terms of safety regulations that can’t be better implemented under the nation state system of government.IE the ability to react quickly based on locally democratic wishes.While your argument seems to contradict itself in firstly pretending that the EU is all for food safety but then on the other hand supporting the US big business type free for all which the EU tacitly supports just the same.In which case again my view obviously fits the definition of the right to agree to disagree.

On that note why would/should the manufacturing sector want to retaliate against the very noble aims of cleaning up the food sector.IE the right to buy non EU type approved US manufacturing products not subject to EU imposed tariff/quota barriers for example isn’t mutually exclusive with saying that we also either won’t accept unpasteurised dairy products or chlorine washed chicken or GM food products,or at least if we do accept them then the customer will be made clearly aware of it at the point of sale.Bearing in mind that a ‘free trade agreement’ doesn’t force the customer to actually buy anything from any particular source nor stop us from informing the customer fully regarding the product on sale.

While yes personally I do think that genetic modification is the devils work to the point where I can’t even buy a rose bush from the local garden centre that’s flowers actually produce a proper strong natural rose type smell for just one example.While the dangers of unpasteurised dairy products are well known which is why the pasteurisation process was invented and then rightly accepted as being a major breakthrough in food safety.The conclusion being that we have nothing to learn from,nor need the interference of,the EU in our trade policies.

Its not just GMOs, its also other welfare standards and allowed, drugs, medicines, etc.
The EU is not just about safety standards, it`s true. By putting tariffs on imported foods it helps our balance of payments and protects our farmers. We could, post Brexit, import cheaper food, yes. We could therefore put our own, more expensive farmers out of business.

Maybe it would help if I clarified that my idea of a ‘free trade’ agreement has always contained the built in safeguard of a clause which actually allows protectionist measures to ensure trade balance and which limits under cutting and dumping on all sides.Or for that matter importing cheap African food while Africans starve.

In which case as it stands ironically it’s the US which has the most grounds to issue protectionist measures against the EU not vice versa.While even more ironically we need the same safeguard regarding our trading relationship with the EU let alone China.It seems strange in that case why you seem to think that the EU is justified in imposing tarrifs on US imports in the interests of ‘trade balance figures’ when it’s the US which has a massive trade deficit with the EU.Or for that matter why you seem to be applying double standards both in regard to Chinese imports to the EU.Let alone our laughable trading relationship with Germany while obviously defending the EU’s stupid anti US trade policy on so called ‘balance of payments’ grounds when you know that ‘balance’ is already way in the EU’s favour.