Blocking London for brexit

the maoster:

Winseer:
I can imagine Full Time drivers in heavily unionized yards being “Remain Supporters”…

I am the former but certainly not the latter! Brexit for me was never about immigration which tbh I don’t give a rats arse about, any more than I give a rats ■■■ about another persons ■■■■■■■■■ or religious beliefs. No, to me it was and still is about each nations God given right to self determination. A one size fits all policy that stretches across every nation from the Mediterranean to the Arctic circle simply can not work no matter how much the unelected officials try to shoe horn such a policy in.

If we had remained a “common market” where every member state traded freely and unencumbered then I believe that we’d all be happy little islanders to date.

Simplistic? Probably, but why fix something that wasn’t broken, or at least wasn’t broken right up until the empire builders in Brussels stuck their oars in?

Is this the five minute argument? Or the full half hour?
Lets stick to 5mins. After starting any project problems become apparent. Dont matter how good your plans are, things change.
Starting as a simple Common Market, small glitches become problems: If UK farmers have better welfare standards than their neighbours, and they need more land to raise cattle, or bigger cages for hens, are they in a fair market? If we have better air pollution standards are our factories as competitive as dirty foreign ones? Hence we need common standards. To function as a level playing field any free trade zone, or common market must have common standards, surely?

EU Commissioners propose laws. Elected Euro M.P.s vote on whether or not to accept them.
Not a perfect system. But each countrys elected Government proposes their own Commissioner. A bit like a UK Prime Minister appointing her/his cabinet, isnt it?
But in the UK we have Ministers who are similar in many ways to Commissioners: mostly they are elected as M.P.s but thats not always so. We have had Cabinet ministers who were not elected. Do we vote for a Chancellor of the Exchequer, or a Home Secretary? Is our system perfect? And of course in our system we have had political parties change leaders during a term of parliament, so in the past 100yrs half of our Prime Ministers havent been “elected”.