COPD

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
My dad died on April the 1st this year from final stage COPD, chronic lung disease, emphysema. You can manage all stages of COPD but the trouble is if you don’t stop smoking, do some form of light exercise and get infections. My dads heart kept getting weaker with every infection, he started getting low oxygen levels to his brain causing him to forget things and act as though he was on another planet it also caused him to have 2 minor strokes the hospital were unsure of how and when they happened.
Because of all this going off he had 3 seizures in hospital each one making his heart weaker the last one killed him on the Sunday morning. He was put on an HDU Ward due to having a seizure on the Friday and was coming around when I saw him Saturday afternoon however he wasn’t all there in his thinking due to what I described earlier. He was transferred to the strike ward where he passed away early Sunday morning.
From Oct 2017 through to April the 1st 2018 hecwas in hospital about 5 times never spending less than 3 week inside, he was in all over xmas and new year. His age (75 years old) didn’t help his predicament at all as he couldn’t build up any resistance to his infections be it chest or otherwise he’d keep getting, he’d had a heart defibrillator fitted to his heart due to the fact he’d twice collapsed at home through his heart working too much due to his COPD and lung conditions both times his heart rate was around 170 bpm :open_mouth: They had to stop his heart both times and restart it to bring it down to an acceptable level. All this caused from being a Scaffolder on building sites, oil rigs and more so nuclear power stations scaffolding and working on nuclear reactors on shut downs where asbestos linings were rife when they were stripped down. The last few months of my dads life were torture for me to see him go through, he wasn’t the man I grew up to worship and be fearful of if I was a bad un. He’s in a better place now not suffering but COPD and it’s implementations can be a killer if not watched or looked after. There is no cure and no funding or charity organisation that I know of. Sorry to be morbid but there you go a true full post from someone see a loved one be taken away by it.

TeveBarnsleytrucker,
Thank you very much for your 1st hand account. Your father’s passing is clearly very upsetting and I much appreciate you sharing the experience with me and all others. Such and awful journey. I am full of sympathy
and admire the way you have faced and handled the situation.
RIP for your father, he is in a much better place now. I asked for info about COPD and you have given what I asked for. My very best wishes to you in your future, you are a very brave man. Onesock.