COPD

Tgtrucker:
Onesock.

Well done for giving up smoking, wish I could do the same and I’ve had COPD (well 1 consultant says it’s COPD, the other says it’s ILD) for 2.5 years now. I developed it as part of a package when I came down with an autoimmune condition. I get checked and scanned every 6 months and thankfully it only gets worse when my main condition flairs, which is too often at the moment but slowly getting under control, consequently I’ve learned to live with it and don’t notice it most of the time as I’m incapable of doing any exercise or exertion now anyway.
It’s quite amazing what the human body can learn to live with and accept as the new normal when things go a bit wrong.

I imagine your GP isn’t saying a lot because he / she isn’t an expert, with anything out of the ordinary they much prefer to refer you to the relevant experts.

Do take notice of what you’re told by the professionals, do take whatever your prescribed even though sometimes the side effects seem worse than the condition. As a rule they’re actually not worse, but if they do become so then talk to your pulmonary consultant (you will get one sooner or later) as there is often a similar medication available that won’t have the same side effects for you. It’s a case of trial and error.

As has been said steroids can be a bugger but I’ve been on high doses of them since the start of my problems and I’ve accepted my forearms now look terrible due to very thin skin which breaks or bruises with the lightest of touch. Better than being dead!

Thanks Tgtrucker, Just tapping messages here helps alot. Why is it that when we have something wrong with us we always feel we are the only ones? Replies and info since starting this topic have been really helpful and please keep them coming. The more I can find out about what I’M up against the more peace of mind I will get. I am convinced that it will kill me, just on the basis that the more time that goes by, the less I can breath. I don’t look to be morbid but have always been happier when I can meet my problems head on and deal with them as such. Thanks for your replies, please don’t stop. The more I can find out about whats going to happen the better.

I’ve not heard of the GP informing the DVLA because of it, mine hasn’t but as I struggle to drive a car now and no chance of getting in a truck I’m just going to not bother with my next medical in 2 years time and let my hgv licence lapse.

Try to remember that this is not the end of the world, it’s treatable and with a good program of learning to adapt your actions and lifestyle to suit then life will go on, maybe just a slightly different one to that which your used to.