Atkinson-v- ERF-v- Foden

Punchy Dan:
The Atki fails on comfort ,the FODEN fails on gear cables ,the ERF have always had good brakes :smiley:

Well we ran plenty of them and never had a gear cable break? The early ones with a short gear lever could be heavy though but once modified they were fine. Keep them lubricated well and the lever below the cab greased (I did mine monthly) and the change was as good as any other. The old 7 inch Foden brakes were good ‘stoppers’ whereas the later Rockwell ones left a lot to be desired though! Asbestos free linings were possibly the difference there though? Again it depends on what era we are talking about as things changed, don’t forget that Foden had many different cabs available to operators at any one time to suit different requirements whereas Atkinson and ERF possibly only had a choice of one?

Oh and no Dennis, I was nowhere near my bed, rarely turn in before midnight as I’m still only a mere slip of a lad thee knows! :laughing: No nightmares either, only dreams of maybe having just one more ride in a proper (Foden!) truck before the ‘Big Boss’ finally takes me upstairs for good. :wink:

Pete.