Texting doesn’t count as using a mobile phone

You don’t need to touch the things any more, at all, once you have started work, set them up in a holder with the screen unlocked, get yourself a good bluetooth hands free earpiece (some of which will answer or reject incoming calls for you with voice command) and you can also use the voice control system of many smartphones to make the call to a number already listed/named on the phone for you.
Same system can be used for texting, simply ask it to ‘text X’ then dictate the message and when it prompts you say ‘send’ and away it goes…now what the legalities of texting by voice command are i do not know, and for the record i don’t do this, but there really is no reason for a copper to see you touch your phone on the road because the technology is there now so you don’t have to.

Yes the above is going to cost a few quid, the hands free earpiece with voice control will be upwards of £60, and no, decent drivers didn’t need to go to these extreme measures because the are capable of driving a bloody lorry without sitting bolt upright gripping the wheel like a vice and pressing their nose to the screen, but one size fits all is the new mantra and we’re all assumed to be as useless as the worse out there, so don’t fight it just keep yourself out of the mire by doing it differently.
Mind you i expect all mobile phone calls on the move whilst driving, hands free or not, will be outlawed before too much longer.