Manual Entry problem.

When putting my card in the other day after my daily rest i got distracted and the manual entry option timed out or something. This left me with 11 hours attributed with a ‘?’ instead of a break symbol.
I take it there is no way of changing this at this stage? Will this ‘?’ Give me infringements?

james38:
When putting my card in the other day after my daily rest i got distracted and the manual entry option timed out or something. This left me with 11 hours attributed with a ‘?’ instead of a break symbol.
I take it there is no way of changing this at this stage? Will this ‘?’ Give me infringements?

The ? symbol is for time that is not accounted for, for instance if in the previous shift you’d been driving a vehicle with an analogue tachograph you’d use the ? symbol.

There shouldn’t be any comeback from your mistake but it may be worth doing a printout and writing an explanation on it.

Sent from my mobile.

Some tachos dont seem to give the option for a manual entry so everything gets assigned to ? and if not who worries, as long as it doesn’t show other work or driving.

Alternatively, the ? means when VOSA find out, you’ll get to spin the wheel of fortune but you won’t like any of the options, esp the one that mentions “apply sudocream and bite down on this”. :smiling_imp:

do not do manual entries ever. no requirement ever to do so,so dont do them .simples.

dieseldog999:
do not do manual entries ever. no requirement ever to do so,so dont do them .simples.

I have exactly the same attitude to Nights Out, Reduced Rests and 10 hour drives :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:

Coming into the new drivers forum and deliberately posting misinformation that could get a driver prosecuted is a new low even for you :unamused:

Article 34 of regulation 165/2014 makes it a legal obligation to manually enter any work that could not be recorded automatically by the tachograph.

Weather drivers bother with manual entries or not is up-to them, personally I couldn’t care less either way, but you seem obsessed with telling people, including new drivers who may believe your bull[zb], that there’s no requirement to do any, maybe just posting correct information and letting them decide for themselves might be a better option than deliberately posting bull[zb] that could bring them and their companies to the attention of the DVSA :unamused:

Perhaps you should stick to banging on about multiple account holders like you have for the past couple of years :unamused:

trevHCS:
Some tachos dont seem to give the option for a manual entry so everything gets assigned to ?

All digital tachographs give an option for manual entries, it’s specified in the EU tachograph specifications that the tachograph manufacturers have to comply with.

In type 1 tachographs the ? was assigned to any time the card was out unless a manual entry was made for that time.

tachograph:

dieseldog999:

Coming into the new drivers forum and deliberately posting misinformation that could get a driver prosecuted is a new low even for you :unamused:

Article 34 of regulation 165/2014 makes it a legal obligation to manually enter any work that could not be recorded automatically by the tachograph.

Weather drivers bother with manual entries or not is up-to them, personally I couldn’t care less either way, but you seem obsessed with telling people, including new drivers who may believe your bull[zb], that there’s no requirement to do any, maybe just posting correct information and letting them decide for themselves might be a better option than deliberately posting bull[zb] that could bring them and their companies to the attention of the DVSA :unamused:

Perhaps you should stick to banging on about multiple account holders like you have for the past couple of years :unamused:

Thanks tachograph. I tell all my drivers this and yet they still persist with the myth that it doesn’t have to be done.
I have printed off the relevant article and it shall be posted on my notice board!

Thanks again
R2R

tachograph:

dieseldog999:

In DD’s world, every working day begins and ends in the cab (it’s quite likely that much of his non-working time is spent in the same environment, but that’s probably not relevant here) and he apparently finds it difficult to grasp that for many drivers this simply isn’t the case.

Just a friendly bit of advice to the newbie drivers.

I’ve never bothered with manual entries. I didn’t see the point. And to be totally honest I’ve never been picked up on it - even when pulled by DVSA.

However, very recently I had an assessment with Tesco’s. They take your card and scan it before the assessment. So I couldn’t claim to never have done any driving. One of the first things the assessor asked me to do was a manual entry… Long story short he had to walk me through it (I’d have done it but it was obvious I wasn’t comfortable) - and frankly I looked like a fool.

Now I didn’t fail the assessment for that. But he did give me the feedback that the sort of drivers they are after don’t ignore with stuff like that. I actually failed because of other sloppy habits I’ve got into. It’s easy to think you are a top-notch driver because you get from a to b without crashing. The reality is that decent firms don’t want guys who have one hand on the steering wheel and who don’t really mind the artic isn’t perfectly straight because it’s ‘on the bay’.

Some will say all the things I mentioned don’t matter - but if you want to get a job/access to those sort of jobs I’d start doing those things. From now on I’ll be doing them. The big players and payers expect it so if I were you guys I’d just do it. As always this is just my opinion and feel free to ignore it.

I’ve done manual entries every day since day 1, it’s a good habit to get in to.

will look something like this:
removed card at 16:37-
end of shift 16:45
daily rest (?) from 16:45 till 06.00
06.00 - 06.07 other work (or whenever I get to my truck and put the card in, 06.07 is just an example.)

I’ve been taught to use ? as daily/weekly rest and the bed symbol for breaks and holidays.

Just as well dipper hasn’t seen this, just think of the double entendre…

I do a manual entry every morning, because our lot have a habit of moving outfits about, servicing them etc,with no cards in, so it basically covers me, so I will get in tomorrow, and find “driving without card” so cancel that, card in, and do a manual entry , rest symbol, today’s finish time/date, then tomorrow rest then date, never had a problems when been stopped by da Gestapo…