Recovery vehicle MOT hurting my brain

Hello guys,

Firstly sorry if this was in the wrong section, I was torn between this and the law one.

I am looking at purchasing a cheap old lorry for personal use, the one I am looking at comes with a beaver tail, winch and front mounted hiab which I believe puts it in the realm of recovery vehicle and as such is allowed certain luxuries. I’ve read things on the internet saying they don’t need an o license (its personal use so wouldn’t anyway) but also that they don’t require an MOT.

Contradictory to this I have found information dated a few years back saying that its changing and they will require one.

I have also found a form (V112G) to notify the post office that my vehicle is exempt from the MOT under category 36 “Vehicles authorised to be used on the road by a Special Types General Order or a Vehicle Special Order, unless the order specifies otherwise.”

Looking into STGO’s, a recovery vehicle with a fitted crane qualifies (I think), but how do I apply for, or get one of these? do I need to tell VOSA or such that my vehicle is covered by these there is an official record somewhere so I don’t get pulled over every time I pass an ANPR camera?

I’m wholeheartedly confused by it all and would really appreciate any and all information regarding.

Thanks in advance.

The thing is 4,5,6,7 or maybe more tonne of killing machine, quite why anyone would want to take advantage of any exemption from MOT goes over my head at Mach 2.

Well because the lorry in questions MOT expired last month so to get it from the dealer to my land isn’t legal unless its exempt, I’d have to get an MOT first.

The recovery vehicle testing exemption for underlifts has recently been removed by the DfT.

There was never an exemption for beavertail/Slide-bed transporters.

It needs tested.

Mot exemptions across a number of vehicles changed in May this year. Here is the document that covers it. Clicky

Narsti:
Well because the lorry in questions MOT expired last month so to get it from the dealer to my land isn’t legal unless its exempt, I’d have to get an MOT first.

One off trip to deliver it from point of sale to you?
Trade plates??

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Franglais:

Narsti:

One off trip to deliver it from point of sale to you?
Trade plates??

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Trade plates are for tax, your only (semi) legal way of getting it back would be to book it in for MOT near you then bring it back to correspond with the test time. If you do get pulled you will have to present it for test.