Brexit and the driver shortage

Win-Stone:

manalishi:
Winseer and Juddian.Prime examples of authentic,full-spectrum, Grammar School educations we will probably never experience again chez blighty.Deeply depressing.

Though I hate to admit to being as antiquated … … they’re not the only ones. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Is anyone going to admit having gone to the same school as me, albeit at a different time maybe?

Those who went before I did - should recognize some of the older masters, whilst those who went there from the late 80’s onwards - would remember the younger ones.

Headmaster Stan Gregory (6th from left, bottom row of masters, 2nd picture) used to run the place like it was a Public School rather than something more mundane like a secondary modern.

The ethos of the school prior to being re-labelled a “Grammar” - was to teach the lads a TRADE.

That ethos is relevant to trucking today of course. Are any of us ever going to be out of work as a result of losing one’s current job for example?

You could get a double first degree in “Communication Studies” nowadays - but even if you got a plum job working for the local Labour Party HQ or whatever - once you lost that job - how on earth would you find another one?

“Becoming unemployable” due to the “wrong kind of experience” rather than the “wrong kind of qualifications” - is going to affect more and more Uni students as time goes on, I suggest.

My old school trained people up for the Dockyard, which then closed down just as I was leaving. After years of trying to get a job in industry and/or science (now in steep decline in this country under Thathcher, despite her being a Doctor of Chemistry) - I eventually ended up working on the trains, getting my car licence privately, and eventually getting the firm to put me through my C+E from which point I never looked back. :sunglasses: Thus, the C+E entitlement on my licence - turned out to be better, more lucrative and a sheer “life-maker” aspect to my paper qualifications more than any other qualification I got at school and college after that, where I did do Physical Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Computing, and even got a typing qualifaction - all to "no job at the end of it, bar yet another YTS from the “joke shop” that we used to call the Job Center back then.