Buses, coaches, & lorries

QUOTE:-

240 Gardner » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 am

Hayday wrote:
Should Alf Moseley of Loughborough be added to this list? I believe they had an early association with Caetano but I’m sure they also built their own bespoke bodies. Also, are the Moseley group of West Yorkshire anyway associated with them (one would assume so being in the same industry - but I don’t know!)

240 Gardner replied:-
Wasn’t Alf Moseley just a dealer (and importer) for Caetano? I can’t recall ever hearing of a Moseley body. Yeates, of course, were local to Moseley, although I never liked their rather over-ornate designs

240 Gardner UNQUOTE.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Buses,Motorcoaches And Lorries . Page 10. VALKYRIE .Monday,8th October,2018 .

Hello Hayday and 240 Gardner :slight_smile: How I wish that I still had a certain,now historic,magazine that documents the motorcoach imports of Alf Moseley of Loughborough from 1968 to at least the early 1980s - I’m determined to get myself another copy! :exclamation:

But all is not lost :slight_smile: I’ve managed to get the following information together,but I don’t think it tells the full story at all,far from it! :exclamation:

From what I can make out there was originally Alf Moseley of Loughborough,a dealer in motorcoaches and buses,that began importing Salvador Caetano motorcoaches in to the United Kingdom in 1968. More about these motorcoaches later.
Alf Moseley later changed its name to Moseley Continental to reflect its business in importing Salvador Caetano motorcoaches.

Salvador Caetano set up its own motorcoach importing company in the United Kingdom,Salvador Caetano (UK) Ltd,Northampton,in 1984 and ceased business with Moseley. Salvador Caetano (UK) Ltd later moved to new premises in Heather,Coalville,Leicestershire,in 1988.

A new subsidiary company,S. C. Coachbuilders Ltd,at Waterlooville,England,was set up in 1998 when the factory at that location was bought from from administrators acting on behalf of the UVG - Urban Vehicles Group,which had gone bust.UVG had originally taken over motor bodybuilder Wadham Stringer in 1993,which became WS and then became UVG in 1995. S.C.Coachbuilders did repairs,parts and also produced UVG-designed bus and motorcoach bodies under the Caetano marque name. However,S.C.Coachbuilders body production ceased in 2007 and the factory was sold in 2009.

Salvador Caetano (UK) Ltd became Caetano UK Ltd in 2006.

Now as far as I can make out the Moseley company changed its name to Alf Moseley Continental,and became van and truck dealers in Loughborough.

This company may or may not be connected to the following group of Moseley companies that deal in motorcoaches and buses in the North,East,West and South of the United Kingdom,in Eire and Northern Ireland…each covers different areas that I’ve listed:-

Moseley (PCV) Ltd,South Emsall,Pontefract,West Yorkshire.

Moseley In The South,Wellington,Somerset.

Moseley Distributors Ltd,Glenmavis,Airdrie,Scotland.

As far as Salvador Caetano motorcoaches and the Moseley Continental name are concerned,Salvador Caetano built all of the imported motorcoach bodies and the different models were sold as Salvador Caetano;each model had a different model name such as Alpha,Cascais,Estoril,Faro,Lisboa,Sintra,etc…the Moseley Continental name signified the importers name - it may have been referred to as the actual marque name of the body by some people. But close inspection of the body would reveal the Salvador Caetano badge,the model name,the chassis marque name and in many if not all cases,the Salvador Caetano marque name :slight_smile: It is probably best to refer to these motorcoach bodies as
Salvador Caetano-Moseley Continental? :question: …before the model name. BUT,they are all officially listed under the Salvador Caetano -later Caetano marque names.

But,as I said,the list of British motor body builders for motorcoaches,buses and trolleybuses is by no means exhaustive :slight_smile: …but since Salvador Caetano is Portuguese it is listed in the foreign importers bus and motorcoach list :slight_smile:

1.Bedford VAL70/Salvador Caetano Estoril C53F,6x2-Twin Steer Chinese Six,Motorcoach,Chassis No.1T483351,Body No.71/37, CFD 300J,Dudley,5-1971,Mills,Gornal Wood,then Eastons Motorcoaches.1#

2.Ford R226/Salvador Caetano Estoril II C53F Motorcoach,Chassis No. BC04ML63366,Body No.73/58, ODM 100L,February 1973,New to Davies,Dyserth.Voel Motorcoaches.Rob Richardson. 1#

QUOTE: OilTreader.
Breakdown Recovery.
Oily UNQUOTE.

3.AEC Regent/1950 Chalmers Mobile Workshop-Van 4x2 Heavy Recovery Vehicle-Breakdown Lorry,Chassis No.6612314, AGX 520,London,6-1933,London Transport,No.738J.New as LT STL169 DD Omnibus.Converted into HRV in 1950. Andy CC-OilTreader.1#

4.Leyland Titan TD5/Beadle,Mobile Workshop-Dropside-Bodied,4x2 Heavy Recovery Vehicle-Breakdown Lorry,Chassis No.17089,Body No.709,EUF 182,5-1938.New as DD Omnibus.Became HRV in 1957,Southdown,No.0182. Barry Lewis-OilTreader. 1#

5.Leyland Titan TD5/Beadle,Mobile Workshop-Dropside-Bodied,4x2 Heavy Recovery Vehicle-Breakdown Lorry,Chassis No.17091,Body No.703, EUF 184,5-1938.New as DD Omnibus.Became HRV in 1957,Southdown,No.0184. Peter Edgeler-OilTreader. 1#

Bus Peter Edgeler cc by nc nd 2.09782182835_7c9a07403d_pe k.jpg

6.Volvo FM12 Globetrotter,Recovery Body-Bodied,Underlift Recovery Crane-Equipped,6x2-Lift Up Trailing Axle,Heavy Recovery Vehicle,VLT 46 from AEC Routemaster RM 46,4-9-1959,London Central. Peter Harris-OilTreader. 1#

QUOTE: MushroomMan » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks for that mate, I have now been able to locate it on Google Earth. :smiley:
This one from The Manchester Archives say’s Cannon Street of course it’s all changed around there now but I just wondered as a couple of posters have mentioned about mobile canteens for the bus drivers and conductors, could that be one parked up on the left of the picture.UNQUOTE.

7.Leyland Tiger TS2/Manchester CTD Mobile Canteen,Chassis No.60857, VR 5996,3-1930,A88 & Leyland Titan PD2/12/Metro-Cammell H36/28R DD Bus,Chassis No.5515723,*PND 428,Manchester CT,No.3428.Cannon St,Manchester.1#

NOTE: I think it’s PND 428,No.3428…the photograph is not all that clear.

The motorcars are a Rover P2 or P3 and ahead of it is probably an Austin 16

It is almost certainly Leyland Tiger TS2 Mobile Canteen,VR 5996,Manchester C.T.,No.A88 that was stationed on Cannon Street Bus Station,Manchester city centre,from 1950-1961 - Leyland Titan PD2 double decker bus,PND 428,Manchester C.T.,No.3428 dates from 1956.
The Leyland Tiger,VR 5996,was new to Manchester as a B32R single decker bus,No.33,served ass an ambulance from 1940 to 1945,became a bus until 1948,then was converted in to a mobile canteen,No.A88,it was sold in 1962 and unfortunately scrapped :unamused:

But a sister Leyland Tiger TS2,VR 5742,Manchester C.T.,No.28 is now beautifully preserved :smiley: :- This Leyland too became an ambulance,A311,from 4-1940 to 6-1947,then became a mobile canteen,A87.It was sold in 1967 and,as has already been mentioned,it is now preserved by the Greater Manchester Transport Museum:-

8.Leyland Tiger TS2,Manchester CTD B30R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.60858 ,VR 5742,Manchester,1930,Manchester C.T.,No.28. FlickRiver. 1#

.Leyland Tiger TS2,Manchester CTD B30R Single Decker Bus,Chassis No.60858 ,VR 5742,Manchester,1930,Manchester C.T.,No.28. FlickRiver. 1#.jpg

VALKYRIE