Pubs that were actually on the Woodhead pss

ROCHY:
My old man used to frequent the Dog and Partridge. He used to travel over Woodhead and back every day Monday to Friday. ( Worksop to Crawfords biscuit factory in Liverpool with bulk flour ) He would call at the Robin Hood for breakfast on the way over and the pub for a pint on the way home in the evening. I would go with him at every opportunity and he would take advantage of this and get me to blow the load out while he had a kip.
There were a couple of pubs in Tintwhistle but I can’t remember their names; he never stopped there though.
Traveling over Woodhead for so many years, mid 50’s till the mid 60’s. He got to know a great many regular drivers and I remember the enamel being worn through around the light switch on his Leyland Super Comet from constantly flashing his lights to them.
Hope this is of some interest. ROCHY.

I remember a pub called The Gun in Tintwhistle,there was another called the same at bottom of Mottram Hill.In winter int 60s and 70s police used to put “road closed” barriers up in Tintwhistle when snow blocked Woodhead.Bloody kids used to move em at night,some drivers went past when it were raining and found a couple of feet of snow further up. :open_mouth:
That Dog and Partridge did a bit of “after bird”,when I were on nights I could see into bar when passing around midnight,early 80s.It was also handy for a dodgy night out,2 bob to park,leave money in a box on wall round back.Landlord had an Alsatian and used to threaten local ministry “silent checker” from Penistone with it if he tried taking reg numbers of wagons. :smiley:
Rochy,your dad must have worked for Smiths Flour Mills then?