Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:

Froggy55:
Just discovered a minute ago on a French Forum. Dutch-made Hogra trucks; I had never heard of that brand before. They look finely built.

Hiya Froggy, now this certainly rang a bell mate, I read an article about Hogra last year, very interesting indeed, I’ll cough up the info I can remember (bear with me, I’m getting older too…)

N.V. Hogra Automobielfabriek, established in 1954 in the South of Holland, main man was Antonie Willem van Hoek and together with his business partner Gravelaar (HO-coming from Hoek, GRA, coming from Gravelaar) they set up their own business after having worked for nearly two decades for the Magirus dealership.

The first Hogra lorry was introduced in 1954, operated in the 7t market and had a Perkins R6 engine, axles and gearboxes came from Moss, later on the choice was made to fit ZF-5 speed 'boxes. All the parts were bought in (engine, gearbox, axles) it’s not sure if the cab was made in-house though.

New series was introduced in 1955 and was fitted with a Perkins P6-80 engine, around that same time they were able to get hold of an export order containing 150 lorries to be shipped out to South America (wonder if any of those survived…?)

In 1957 yet another new serie was to be introduced, the H7S and was fitted with a Steyr engine.
Due to too much competition and a small production line, production ceased in 1959, it’s to be believed that between '54 and '59 400 to 500 Hogra’s were built.

Thanks, Dave. The Perkins P6 was certainly not too strong to move a 3-axle truck! In France, it was widelu used to repower ex- WW II trucks likes GMCs with diesels. The Hogra cab has a family look with MAN cabs of the '60s.