Brexit and the driver shortage

chrisdalott:

Juddian:

What did you used to have the freedom to do that you’re not allowed to do today?

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

My childhood was spent roaming at free will, literally from a very young age around 5 i’d be out with the dog all day, sometimes i’d be alone, sometimes i’d meet up with friends, footy etc.
Had me bike and used to travel miles, either on my own or with me best mate when we’d go for long bike rides just for the hell of it, age from 7 upwards.
School holidays were one long idylic summer or enjoying the real winters we got every year…particularly 1963 when were snowed in for a week, 3ft deep up the lane to the village.
When i got older, say 9 or so i became a train spotter, yeah i know :laughing: , i’d get a child day return ticket cheap as chips and go all over the place visiting engine sheds, hundreds of miles covered days on end.
I spent endless weeks in the local signal box, learning the ropes, swapping packed lunches with the signalman.
Used to leave me bike in all sorts of places, not chained up, never got pinched nor bits taken from it.

School was a place of learning, not indoctrination, i was lucky enough to get a place in a very old grammar, where the boys (boys only hence partly the reason i was useless with girls, still am if it comes to it) where not only were we taught how not what to think, but we had our own quite extensive armoury complete with range and a school army and air force cadet corps, so lots of really exciting stuff to do.

We communicated person to person, the phones were still on 4d for a call, push button A to connect or B to refund if no answer, children didn’t cower in their bedroom having online discussions monitored by big brother and a million others to ensure they are quoting the hymnsheet of the day.

Yes it was real freedom, you never gave a thought to being taken or groomed (i do wish they stop calling the vile practice of child ■■■■/molestation mainly by the untouchables by such a cosy word), though there obviously were the rare cases of the vile moor murders scum, but they were so rare that our parents allowed us the freedom to judge for ourselves and learn what was safe and what wasn’t.
No adult or other child ever made any suggestion of anything untoward to me nor any other kid i know, and the old folk were safe to walk down the post office and collect their cash pension too, any bugger tried to rob 'em they’d be bloody lynched if the real bobbies of those times didn’t manage to nab 'em first…or a bloody sight worse if the Krays or other gangs from the era found them first.
There was a general respect of the older people, the brat generation hadn’t yet been encouraged.

We didn’t grow up any faster we grew up differently, it sported a generation not dissimilar to the ones before (though thankully we didn’t get sent to soak up bullets for idiots), where a mans word was something important and was stood by.
The girls were something else, feminine, before the word was stolen, like the word gay has been stolen.
We’ll never return to those times of course, and i’m not suggesting we should because that was then and now is now, i’m just thankful to have been born then, those born later won’t ever know what it was like and i’m sorry for them.