Middle East - Not Astran!

newmercman:
Headboard tanks were good, no air needed so less likelyhood of blowing a seam open and flooding a German services with red diesel on a Saturday afternoon during a summer lorry ban! How I, sorry I mean how the driver got away with that I’ll never know [emoji16]

The downside to the headboard tanks was filling them up, the filler was 13’ off the ground and you needed to be a contortionist to take the cap off and on and thread the hose through a sealed tilt, but far worse was an over enthusiastic forklift driver spearing the forks through the tank when loading through the back.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Never experienced a headboard tank as stated probably easy to hide on the type of trailers used in the trans europe middle east countries,in my cattle carting days we used belly tanks slung under each trailer in road train configuration they were plumbed into a common discharge line which went from the back trailer via the discharge line which was hooked into one of the trucks tanks the air pressure was controlled by a valve in the line as I recall set at 4 psi was all that was needed to pump fuel from the rear tank to the prime mover,as you can imagine it wasn’t a fast procedure but it could be switched on and off with a simple air switch mounted in the cab obviously prime movers and trailers needed to be all common to one another and belly tank discharge wheel valves open when refuelling on the move which i did on a regular basis.
It could be easy to forget it but when fuel was discharging through a tank breather you smelt it before seeing it.I only did that once fuel in those days was about 48 cents a gallon and the clean up of the mess after was time consuming and messy so lesson learned.
The trailer in the pic was originally one of my cattle trailers the tank held 900 litres it had been cut down from 1200 litres and with 3 of them plus 1500 litres in the trucks tanks we had a range of around 5500 kms which was about 6 days between refuels when we were busy.

Dig