Toxic Shock and Sepsis

albion:
And it’s almost as hard on you to watch as it is for your Mum to bear.

I had to take the decision to put Mr A into care - he had dementia - and really it was the best decisions as there were people around to look after him, people to talk to and break the day up. Obviously it’s a completely different scenario to the type of care your mum will need, but I just wanted to say that in the right place, care should be viewed positively. There’s no reason why you wouldn’t be able to bring things from home to make her feel more settled.

Good luck with whatever you and she decide.

NMM, I caught an interview with an oncologist and he said that the treatment options he laid out for his patients, a lot of them he wouldn’t pursue.

Although it’s not as violent in the way it attacks Dimentia is another nasty medical issue which was feared by my mum.I guess we can only be grateful for small mercies in that although this has left her awfully confused to the point of sometimes thinking that the hospital ward she’s in is a shop for example she’s still able to remember things and people and friends going way back and still have a laugh with the family and hold a reasonable conversation underneath it all.

As for her situation we’ve agreed with the hospital that we’ll try the palliative assisted home care option but with the option of changing that to nursing home care if it doesn’t work out for us.Having said that even to the end I’ve got reservations with the hospital having withdrawn treatment when I feel that she could have a better more viable outcome given some more time in hospital and some more anti biotic treatment and whatever it takes to disinfect her leg ulcers and with the hospital’s claim that she supposedly hasn’t responded to that which she’s had seeming to be unbelievable going by the state she was in in the A and E department and the horrendous effects during the first week compared to her now chatting and laughing and eating and drinking limited amounts notwithstanding the heart and kidney damage.The inevitable result being that the septicaemia which kicked off the Sepsis attack will probably re establish itself in the short to medium term and the hospital suggesting that they will allow nature to take its course with no possibility of readmission.IE possible misuse and railroading of the palliative care system to add to possible unnecessary damage caused by lack of care of leg ulcer issues followed by not only an unfit for purpose NHS Sepsis risk recognition and emergency admissions system.But also then rationing of intensive care provision when that inevitably ended up in septicaemia and severe Sepsis.