Toxic Shock and Sepsis

newmercman:
Sorry to hear this CF, it’s a nightmare situation and so frustrating. I lost my Dad last year, lung cancer that metastasized to the bone and brain, they put him on a trial treatment that was actually shrinking the tumors, which sounds good, but it took such a toll on him that it ended up killing him. 9 months of pure misery, in retrospect it would have been far better to have let nature take its course and have palliative treatment.

A friend had a similar experience, except her Dad had dementia and had no idea he was riddled with cancer, he never suffered until the final week.

Sometimes the treatment causes more pain and anguish than the disease itself, hard to accept as you want to try everything you can, but the thing that makes me really sad about my Dad, apart from losing him of course, is the suffering he endured, which in hindsight was a waste of time.

Life can be so cruel…

Thanks nmm.Yes I also went through the lung cancer issue with my dad too and it was diagnosed late so he had no chance but the lead up and the end was horrendous either way and don’t think there was any benefit for him in the resulting lack of the usual cancer delaying efforts.But I’d hoped my mum would then be spared a similar awful exit but has now ended up with something a lot worse if that can be possible in the form of this evil unimaginable thing in which the body’s immune system turns against itself by eating kidneys brain etc and turning the heart into similar situation as a runaway diesel burning its own oil because it damages ateries resulting in a drop in blood pressure which the heart mechanism then tries to compensate for by running at a silly rate up to 200 beats pm together with an unbelievable breathing rate.The result for the poor victim is massive delirium including thinking that they are falling and standing and begging to be laid down when they are actually lying on a bed while at the same time effectively being forced to run beyond endurance to the point where eventually either the heart blows up or is damaged beyond normal use again.While ironically she’s been fighting with Myeloma for a number of years now and had excellent results from all the different chemo and radio treatments to the point where the benefits seemed to outweigh any of the limited if any side effects.Although whether that had damaged her immune system resulting in the predisposition to Sepsis is a possibility but the long term ongoing infected leg ulcer issues would have been expected to have caused that long before now if so.

While as you’ve seen my issues are the seeming normally accepted protocols which are in place to minimise such damage having been over looked in her case and which should be made available regardless of age when the two factors of infected wound/s and confusion for example are seen together regardless of the person’s age or medical history.IE we should all be equal from the youngest to the oldest in being given the best chance possible in the fight against this wicked thing and which is totally merciless and indiscriminate in who and how it attacks.In which case trust me anyone would be praying at the victim’s bedside for medical science and the emergency protocols to be working at their best if they are ever unfortunate enough to see the way this can destroy a human being let alone loved ones if/when it gets a hold.

As for your final sentence +1.In my case having now seemingly shattered my limited basic Christian beliefs in now wondering exactly who is in charge here and maybe there is some truth in the rumours that the battle between good and evil has already taken place and God lost it. :open_mouth: :cry: