Toxic Shock and Sepsis

albion:
Carryfast, late to this. So sorry to hear about your troubles getting your Mum the right care. Happens a lot to elderly people and you do feel as if you are having to battle with the system at such a worrying time.

Do you have an update on how things are?

Thanks albion.Coincidentally I’m just taking a short break from my hospital vigil duties of spending hours day and night at her side with her.The situation so far is that she’s fought like a lion with this evil monstrous thing and is miraculously still with us.But unfortunately the prognosis is that she’s possibly out of immediate danger but the awful damage caused to vital organs etc will definitely shorten her remaining life drastically to the point where she’ll realistically now be confined to a bed advisedly to be transferred to a nursing home to see out what time she has left.Although I’m torn in that by her wish to return home whatever it takes and my heart also telling me to go with that wish no matter what.

Which then just leaves the question of what might have been given the correct treatment to her leg ulcer issues and fast reaction by those responsible for her care along the lines of recognition of the risk in her case,followed by fast referral to A and E then put on the correct treatment within less than one hour of arrival and immediate transfer to an intensive care unit as called for in the best practice guidelines.In this case even the supposed follow on oral antibiotics from IV having been left out based on the excuse that insufficient response was being shown to IV antibiotics.But which somehow seemed to have resulted in a significant lowering of infection levels and an amazing upturn despite lack of access to intensive care provision.Now followed by the all too predictable downturn seemingly after the withdrawal of anti biotic treatment and all too predictable damage caused,in trying to fight off such a catastrophic medical issue without the full modern day medical armoury being made available to her,according to accepted guidelines,for whatever reason. :confused: :cry:

On that note I’d really hope that we’re not seeing deliberate rationing and triage of NHS provision based on age lines and tombstone economics.But if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck in that her treatment seems to me that not expected in the 21st century and certainly in no way matching the stated guidelines and big Sepsis publicity campaign.More like the opposite in the Health care providers’ reaction in her case. :open_mouth: