Anyone work for TNT or fedex?

Either employed or on agency.

Just wondering why drivers for these companies are in so much of a rush? Get them screaming past, not giving other trucks any space through the M6 roadworks, 2 inches from the back of someone else when approaching a roundabout because they want to leave it to the last possible second to brake. I had fedex overtake me on the A 34 last night near congleton and I had to brake quite hard to allow him past so he didn’t hit the oncoming car he was now in the path of. Anyone who knows that stretch, well make your own mind if an artic overtaking another artic is particularly safe there.

Just an observation. Wondering what it is? Are you all rushed by management? Or is it just an unwritten rule that parcel truck drivers need to drive like you’ve stole it?

Order by 9pm and get free nationwide next day delivery…

Tuffnells are the worse. Even the Irish wagons have a hard job keeping up with them on the M6 lol

Fedex drivers are on job and knock and at that time of night they start getting a queue at the gate to get on the bays, so the sooner they get in the queue the sooner they go home.
As for TNT they are now owned by Fedex so maybe the same rules apply.

So it’s a culture within the business and procedures that forces road safety from their drivers to be compromised :unamused:

On agency, you get moaned at it you take your time running back from the hub to the local depot.
Presumably, the regular full timer one is covering - carves the nuts out of the job, because for them - it is job & knock…

Green Lights at the hub - is like “The Hare’s running” at a dog track!

Everyone getting green lights, all the artics surging forward at once, out, putting number plates on, and then the rush for the bottleneck that is the main barrier gate…

03:00 at Marston Gate springs to mind, especially on a friday night!

As far as I am aware TNT line haul drivers are paid by the hour.they are under pressure to get from the hubs back to the depots on time so that the drivers on the delivery rounds can get out on time, to get the pre 9/10 and 12’s done on time.if you are late on one of these your despatcher reacts as if the world is going to end! It’s all about targets and league tables.

Basket case:
As far as I am aware TNT line haul drivers are paid by the hour.they are under pressure to get from the hubs back to the depots on time so that the drivers on the delivery rounds can get out on time, to get the pre 9/10 and 12’s done on time.if you are late on one of these your despatcher reacts as if the world is going to end! It’s all about targets and league tables.

Bloody mental…

Well maybe somebody “official e.g. DVSA etc” should look in how they operate and cut corners.
But that probably won’t help because there is always somebody else/another parcel who takes that job.

Even if something happens they will blame the driver for speeding, cuttimg legal corners etc. because he should have known better. I don’t think accident investigators look in “planning/run sheets etc…”
Their fingers are probably tied to tell a company how it should operate in a safer manner when it comes to rushing drivers.

Just my opinion and it’s sad that road safety in compromised by these outfits.

But well also there’s drivers in every company, which rush for no reason.

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

Well maybe somebody “official e.g. DVSA etc” should look in how they operate and cut corners.
But that probably won’t help because there is always somebody else/another parcel who takes that job.

Even if something happens they will blame the driver for speeding, cuttimg legal corners etc. because he should have known better. I don’t think accident investigators look in “planning/run sheets etc…”
Their fingers are probably tied to tell a company how it should operate in a safer manner when it comes to rushing drivers.

When u say rush u mean 56 mph per hour give or take 2 mph if so that’s hardly dangerous.
If u don’t like it stick to 50mph and u won’t get many issues.
As for the m6 roadworks plenty of space for truck overtaking mate it just looks a little tighter then it is.

You sound like the type of guy that wears a crash helmet when in a car along with a high vis.

H and s is great but 9/10 it’s not practical and it only ever implemented when it suits the big wigs.

adam277:

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

When u say rush u mean 56 mph per hour give or take 2 mph if so that’s hardly dangerous.
As for the m6 roadworks plenty of space for truck overtaking mate it just looks a little tighter then it is.

You sound like the type of guy that wears a crash helmet when in a car along with a high vis.

H and s is great but 9/10 it’s not practical and it only ever implemented when it suits the big wigs.[/quote

Health and Safety is there to protect you. If you choose to ignore it to get the job done quicker what do you gain, you might get finished a bit earlier but if your hourly paid you then earn less, the bosses like that more profit for them, but what happens if you or somebody else gets hurt because of your corner cutting itcwill be you for the high jump because the bosses will say we trained him to do it properly and he didn’t follow the correct procedure.

adam277:

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

H and s is great but 9/10 it’s not practical and it only ever implemented when it suits the big wigs.

I was more on about going like a maniac through 30 mph limits and 56 mph all the time, never mind what the actual sign says.

If somebody thinks he is faster than me i.e. empty trailer, lighter load > overtake, I even switch cruise off and let them go past faster.

But certain companies just plan runs with the maximun speed even if it’s not legal and do-able.

I never worn a crash helmet?What does it feel like?

Been a while since I’ve done it but if I remember right the hubs fine each other every time a truck is late. This is made worse when getting there a couple of minutes late means your stuck in a que and stuck outside for 20/30/40 minutes. The desire to avoid being fined is then passed on to the driver who is pressured to drive like a ■■■■ to get to the hub before everyone else.

mugsy:

adam277:

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

[/quote

Health and Safety is there to protect you. If you choose to ignore it to get the job done quicker what do you gain, you might get finished a bit earlier but if your hourly paid you then earn less, the bosses like that more profit for them, but what happens if you or somebody else gets hurt because of your corner cutting itcwill be you for the high jump because the bosses will say we trained him to do it properly and he didn’t follow the correct procedure.

When I say rush I mean leaving it to the last possible moment to slam brakes on for lights and roundabouts. I mean accelerate like your getting away from police from roundabouts at junctions, and I mean overtaking on a single carriageway into oncoming traffic. I’d call that dangerous.

Through the roadworks it’s just courteous when lane 3 is clear to shift over a little bit more so both trucks have more space. Oh and by rush I mean doing more than the speed limit through the road works as well.

I take it you are or have been a parcel company driver by the sounds of your attempted justification for it all.

They certainly don’t bully me into leaving it later to brake for junctions and roundabouts anyway by being 2inches from my back. If they go into the back of me it won’t be me at fault.

DickyNick:

mugsy:

adam277:

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

[/quote

When I say rush I mean leaving it to the last possible moment to slam brakes on for lights and roundabouts. I mean accelerate like your getting away from police from roundabouts at junctions, and I mean overtaking on a single carriageway into oncoming traffic. I’d call that dangerous.

Through the roadworks it’s just courteous when lane 3 is clear to shift over a little bit more so both trucks have more space. Oh and by rush I mean doing more than the speed limit through the road works as well.

I take it you are or have been a parcel company driver by the sounds of your attempted justification for it all.

They certainly don’t bully me into leaving it later to brake for junctions and roundabouts anyway by being 2inches from my back. If they go into the back of me it won’t be me at fault.

I think your being a bit extreme they ain’t that bad [emoji23][emoji23]

I did a bit for Fedex in west London a few years ago and I drove correctly and in a professional manner as I always do.
It’s simple guys,do not let the job dictate how you drive.Go and find another one and the company will soon get the message.

SouthEastCashew:

I think your being a bit extreme they ain’t that bad [emoji23][emoji23]
[/quote]

He isn’t any time the M6 is shut at night follow them up the diversion regular jumping of red lights overtaking on roundabouts and dangerous overtaking ,do enjoy watching them fighting their way up the diversion only to pass them all once back on the M6, as was proved with the M1 crash most of them drive like complete dicks.

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

I totally agree dvsa, depatement of work and pensions, and local police traffic units need a co-ordinated investigation into the courier business to get rid of the cowboys. I suggest that they start with the couriers that use self employed car/van drivers working for below minimum wage in unroadworthy vehicles. that would stop the race to the bottom in price and pay a fair rate for delivering your parcels. then the larger companies will noy have to be always looking at cutting costs/ corners to try and compete for the business.

Basket case:

Tipperdipper1:

Basket case:

Bloody mental…

I totally agree dvsa, depatement of work and pensions, and local police traffic units need a co-ordinated investigation into the courier business to get rid of the cowboys. I suggest that they start with the couriers that use self employed car/van drivers working for below minimum wage in unroadworthy vehicles. that would stop the race to the bottom in price and pay a fair rate for delivering your parcels. then the larger companies will noy have to be always looking at cutting costs/ corners to try and compete for the business.

Basket I can’t see your comment [emoji848]

There shouldn’t be a rush to get back and tip… usually sub depots have plenty of spare bays.

I’ve done TNT, Royal Mail, Aspray, DPD etc… I always slow down to 54mph or whatever if a lorry is trying to overtake me. If you’re overtaken 10 times in 3 hours what would you lose? 20 seconds?

I drive for Fedex,have done for over 10 yrs,Trunking a 600km round trip most nights. I don’t drive like a ■■■■ (don’t get paid danger money)
Must be honest and admit some of our drivers are very impatient and flat out everywhere,Stress levels must be through the roof
STANDARDS ARE GETTING WORSE…