Middle East - Not Astran!

I have just finished Mike Wheatley’s autobiographical ‘Wherever the road took me: 50 years of International overland transport.’

I’ve known Mike for fifty years. He is a real character. My brother Andy drove Mike’s 110 with me in Pete Robbins’s 140 on our trip to Damascus, the first trips for Mike’s newly formed company NODAG. This is documented in a T&D article from 2012, which is on my website. In fact Mike has used (with permission) a couple of photos from that trip.

He also tells a tale I’d forgotten about. I absolutely hated squatting to s***. After returning from Damascus and before setting off on the next trip, I visited the hardware store and bought a lavatory seat. I fitted this to a wooden frame and put 3 hinged legs on it. It caused huge amusement to anyone who saw it - but everyone asked to borrow it!

In fact, returning from Baghdad with Paul Kerr, I had some eggs at the Telex in Ankara (I’m blaming the eggs - I was no big drinker!) and I spent the next day constantly stopping to vomit and s****. That seat was a godsend. Paul got to the mocamp several hours earlier than me!

Anyway, Mike’s book is a really good read, and well worth the money.
Here’s the Amazon link:
amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss … ad+took+me