People finally coming to their senses?

newmercman:
Johnson was his opposition and somehow he disappeared from the running for Cameron’s replacement and May got the gig. WTF?

Now why do you think Johnson made a rapid step into the background as soon as Cameron resigned?

Maybe his support for Leave had more to do with his desire for power than any ideological belief.
Maybe he believed that, as the polls showed, Remain would win, Cameron’s EU deal would happen and the mainly Leave voting, Tory party grass roots would look to oust him, letting Boris step in with his Leave credentials.
so when Leave won, I bet he thought, oh botheration! Well I don’t want the poison chalice of leading the UK through this, far to much work and risk of failure and going down in history as a crap PM.

newmercman:
Almost as ridiculous and immoral as Blair handing over the reins to Brown.

Or Major taking over from Thatcher, but we don’t have a presidential system, we vote for the MP, probably becuase of the party they represent, not the Prime Minister or any other cabinet position and as far as I’m aware neither do many countries.
In fact in many countries you don’t even vote for a representative just a party, then their representative are selected by that party depending on the percentage of the national vote, does stop the party getting trouble makers in their ranks, as they are reliant on making it onto the party list not those who voted. The system does have its advantages as well, like smaller parties getting MP’s, under that system UKIP would of had something like 13 MP’s after the 2015 election and parties couldn’t form a majority goverment on 30% of the vote.

The MP in my mothers area probably would have never got voted in on a party only system, a Remain supporting Lib Dem in a mostly Leave rural area :open_mouth: but he has a great reputation locally for taking up cases for his constituents, he lives locally and not in London like his Consevative rival, who would have been a career MP forced on the local people by central office.