Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

JON LAD:
Hi , Just an enquiry with reference to carrying Vehicle Batteries Palletised with thick shrinkwrap around the pallets.
The UN Number is UN2794 .
I believe these goods would fall under Transport Cat 3.

These goods (UN 2794) are most probably totally exempt from ADR.
UN 2794 has a “special provision” called SP598, which if the consignor fulfills, would trigger the exemption. Now the strange bit: I can see how you got to 1,000kgs by thinking that batteries were goods of UN Class 8, PGIII, but in fact UN 2794 doesn’t have a packing group assigned. :open_mouth:

JON LAD:
Could you confirm the maximum weight of these goods that can be carried per Transport Unit. ( I am an ADR Licence holder and think it is 1000 kg per transport unit ■■? )

If SP598 applies, then there is no limit per transport unit on the basis that the goods are ADR exempt.

If yopur groupage load includes other ADR stuff, then the batteries can be ignored when deciding whether the ADR threshold limits are exceeded.

JON LAD:
I collect from a battery stockholder, in groupage i.e 5+ pallets back to hub where pallets are then trans shipped around the UK. I am an ADR licence holder, yet no ADR plates/extinguisher Etc are supplied on the said collecting vehicle.

If SP598 applies, there would be no requirement for orange boards, or extinguishers or even an ADR certificated driver.

JON LAD:
Your confirmation of the above movements of goods would be appreciated.
With Thanks. Jon

No probs, JON LAD, it’s a pleasure.

Please note that it is the consignor, who has to palletise and label-up etc, and the carrier who decides whether the Regs apply, selects a suitable vehicle, and assigns an ADR trained driver, if the regs require it.

If you have any further doubts, I could post SP598, so that you can check whether the consignor is compliant. Please just ask. (It’s not very big or complicated.)

From my experience, SP598 is a very common (and perfectly legal) way of transporting UN 2794 by road.
(It would be a very different matter by sea or air though :wink: )