C+E assessment 1/9/18

Had a fantastic day today! :smiley:

First of all, my instructor introduced me to the outfit that I would be doing my assessment in (a 4x2 Scania tractor unit, which I’m already very familiar with, since I used to work on a load of these at my old job, coupled up to a 42ft tandem axle box trailer,) did my walk-around checks and then started off with some reversing exercises (4 straight line ones, which I found dead easy, and 2 blind side ones, which I found a bit more challenging.)

Next, we did an uncoupling and recoupling exercise, which I found the first part very easy, but the recoupling part was a bit more difficult with lining up the mudflaps with the edges of the headboard.

Finally, we took the outfit out onto the Queen’s highway so I could get used to the feel of it. Did three trips up and down Dockside Road from the yard to the Riverside Stadium, so I could get some roundabout practice, then had a run along the A66 to Morton Park (near Darlington), across the A67 to Teesside Airport, up to Long Newton, back along the A66 to the Tees Flyover, down the A19 to the Parkway (A174), followed it to the Greystones roundabout, transversed the A1053 around the western edge of the Wilton complex and then back to the yard, basically doing a full circle around Teesside!

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the assessment day, and have now booked my full course and test with them for the 5th to the 9th of November with the same instructor.