Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Time for a brief update. One in :smiley: , one out :frowning:

A new one quite close to me is in Chalus on the N 21 between Limoges and Perigueux. At the top of the hill south of the double traffic lights and opposite the big parking area on the right, is the new routier really going for it with big banners close by and on the edges of the town. Haven’t tried it myself, a bit close to home for a meal. Neither can I say if it is open in the evenings too, but it looks as if it might be. If I find out I will report back. :wink:

A bit further away, again on the N 21 at Lauriere, east of Perigueux, the routier of the same name appears to be closed down. It has been shut for a while as I have passed but thought it might just be conge (holiday) time. But no, still closed and the large parking area is ribboned off and also has strategically placed kerbing slabs to prevent entry.

I have eaten there several times, all good, and the last time was unusual for me, being only 50 kms from home. I had delivered to near Sarlat quite late in the afternoon and made it to there for 9.30 pm. I asked if I could still eat and, when told of course, parked up for the night. There was an elderly couple running it then (a few years ago it was a younger bloke, the one who organised all the directional parking), so maybe they simply retired with no takers. Or perhaps, as in the case of other small businesses I know, retired but still live there. A pity.

Nothing is lost for certain though. The one at Negrondes, a bit further north on the N 21 closed for many weeks, a lot longer than conge would suggest, but is now open again, and, of course, the really handily placed La Loge, on the old N20 (D 2020) is open now, though it had been closed for more than a year. :slight_smile:

Just had a look on Google Streets and in May 2013 La Loge was definitely shut, much longer than I thought then, so there’s hope for the others yet. Chez Jo, perhaps? Anyone fancy a change of lifestyle and the same bed every night? :laughing:
I’ll be stopping at La Fleuve, Abbeville in a couple of weeks, but will check it out as usual as I pass. :slight_smile: