Percy Powell Transport, Horndean, Hampshire

I first knew of Percy Powell Transport in early 1970 when I joined Robert Baillie Transport.
At that time, the Percy Powell company, its drivers, lorries, and its depot at Horndean had
just been taken over by Robert Baillie & Co Ltd. I am keen to discover if there is anyone
who knew Percy Powell Transport in the Portsmouth and surrounding area before they were
acquired by Robert Baillie, and if they have any pictures of their lorries and depot.
This picture, and others that I will post on here have already been seen on the Robert Baillie thread.
TK Bedford JRV 300F was at Baillies Wigan depot for a few months in 1970, then it disappeared,
and I never saw it again.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

JRV%20300F.png

I drove this AEC Mandator, GTR 953D, after it had become a Robert Baillie vehicle,
by which time it was painted in Robert Baillies “Midnight Blue” and gold lettering.
I would like to find a picture of it when it was painted in the Baillies Livery.

Ray Smyth.

GTR 953D.png

This AEC Mercury is seen here driving off the ferry, having been to the Isle Of Wight for a Steam Gathering weekend.
The Traction Engine on the trailer still had a “Big Fire” under the boiler, and plenty of water in the tank.
I am told that it was issuing smoke and steam for many miles on its journey home up the old A3. Jimmy Farmer was
the driver of this AEC, LRV 974G, during the time I knew him. Picture courtesy of Mick Ansell.

LRV%20974G.png

The 1st picture of Ford D Series POU 920G is from 1970, seen in the yard at Horndean, soon after the
takeover by Robert Baillie Transport. It is coupled to a Baillies trailer, but still in Percy Powell livery.
In picture 2, POU 920G is again seen at Horndean in 1971, now in the Midnight Blue of Robert Baillie.
The 3rd picture is POU 920G, now as a full time driver training vehicle, painted white.

I passed my HGV Class 1 driving test on this lorry in October 1970, when it was still in Percy Powell
livery, and “Mappo”, Tony Mapson from Southampton also passed his HGV test in this vehicle in 1971.
Ray Smyth.

POU 920G Trainer.jpg

Scan%2013.jpg

Percy Powell Ltd operated from the laundry & stable block of Letcombe House,Rowlands Castle Road near Blendworth. By 1957 “near Blendworth” ceased to be used & became Horndean.
During the 50’s their B licences enabled them to operate within 25 miles of Emsworth Railway Station & also 15 miles of Horndean Post Office Traffics carried included Milk,furniture,agricultural goods & produce.
By the late 50’s /early 60’s Powells began to expand & develop.In 1960,a lwb tipper was used during the sugar beet season (Oct to Jan) to carry sugar beets from local farms to the Kidderminster Beet factory.This seasonal traffic lasted for several years

Powells were members of the Mid Southern Tipping Group & at least 3 of their tippers (possibly more) were engaged by Southern Counties Construction in 1964 to move chalk from Butser & Gravel Hill (A3) for the A27 Havant By Pass. Again ,in 1968,they were involved in chalk movements for the Farlington/Cosham By Pass. Salt for local authorities was a winter traffic
In 1961 Powells acquired R Weeks Ltd of 28 Denmark St, Wokingham whose 4 A licences enabled Powells to expand their general operations
By the mid 60’s the operation was a mix of local & distance traffics.Artics began to replace rigids which meant increased capacity.
In 1967 the fleet included 2 artics on B licences-goods within 25 miles of Emsworth Railway Station- a bulk milk tanker on contract to the Milk Marketing Board & various tippers -goods within 20 miles of Horndean Post office- Some vehicles were on contract-Milk Marketing Board.Kenwood Havant 2(possibly 3) artics , Hunt & Friedmann (Artic & Rigid) for movement of imported produce to London & provincial markets. Halmatic were another customer
AEC was the standard “heavy” vehicle initially supplied through H & J Prince Southampton but latterly through Stringer (Portsmouth) of Twyford Avenue
What happened to Powells customers after the acquisition by Robert Baillie ?
The site in Rowlands Castle Road was cleared in 2000 & developed for housing

roolechat:
Percy Powell Ltd operated from the laundry & stable block of Letcombe House,Rowlands Castle Road near Blendworth. By 1957 “near Blendworth” ceased to be used & became Horndean.
During the 50’s their B licences enabled them to operate within 25 miles of Emsworth Railway Station & also 15 miles of Horndean Post Office Traffics carried included Milk,furniture,agricultural goods & produce.
By the late 50’s /early 60’s Powells began to expand & develop.In 1960,a lwb tipper was used during the sugar beet season (Oct to Jan) to carry sugar beets from local farms to the Kidderminster Beet factory.This seasonal traffic lasted for several years

Powells were members of the Mid Southern Tipping Group & at least 3 of their tippers (possibly more) were engaged by Southern Counties Construction in 1964 to move chalk from Butser & Gravel Hill (A3) for the A27 Havant By Pass. Again ,in 1968,they were involved in chalk movements for the Farlington/Cosham By Pass. Salt for local authorities was a winter traffic
In 1961 Powells acquired R Weeks Ltd of 28 Denmark St, Wokingham whose 4 A licences enabled Powells to expand their general operations
By the mid 60’s the operation was a mix of local & distance traffics.Artics began to replace rigids which meant increased capacity.
In 1967 the fleet included 2 artics on B licences-goods within 25 miles of Emsworth Railway Station- a bulk milk tanker on contract to the Milk Marketing Board & various tippers -goods within 20 miles of Horndean Post office- Some vehicles were on contract-Milk Marketing Board.Kenwood Havant 2(possibly 3) artics , Hunt & Friedmann (Artic & Rigid) for movement of imported produce to London & provincial markets. Halmatic were another customer
AEC was the standard “heavy” vehicle initially supplied through H & J Prince Southampton but latterly through Stringer (Portsmouth) of Twyford Avenue
What happened to Powells customers after the acquisition by Robert Baillie ?
The site in Rowlands Castle Road was cleared in 2000 & developed for housing

Hi roolechat, Thank you again for your very accurate history of Percy Powell. Unfortunately my knowledge of the company
is rather limited, other than some of Baillies Horndean drivers that I knew were ex Percy Powell.Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Two artics of Percy Powell Transport seen on the A3 north of Horndean, Hampshire,
en route to Tilbury Docks. Ford D Series POU 920G, and AEC Mercury MTR 646F were
soon to become part of the Robert Baillie fleet, following the takeover of Percy Powell.

Ray Smyth.

POU 920G.png

Percy Powells had two of these ford d 1000’s with the V8 ■■■■■■■ one based in Horndean LHO595F as shown here with driver John Duffield and the other based in Guildford.

truckworld:
Percy Powells had two of these ford d 1000’s with the V8 ■■■■■■■ one based in Horndean LHO595F as shown here with driver John Duffield and the other based in Guildford.

Hi, Thank you for the Percy Powell picture. I first knew of Percy Powell Transport when I joined Robert Baillie & Co. Ltd,
early in 1970, around which time Baillies had acquired Percy Powell Transport, its staff, and large depot at Horndean.
I don’t remember John Duffield, or that they had some connection at Guildford. Any further info & pictures are most welcome.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Paul Stevens sent me these pictures. His Dad was a driver with Percy Powell Ltd from Horndean.
This AEC Mercury six wheeler, YBK 525, appeared on an advert for Tamplins of Chichester.
It looks like the tipper bodywork was removable so that it could operate as a flatbed lorry.

Ray Smyth.

As far as I know, This AEC Mandator, GTR 953D was the only Mandator that Percy Powell Ltd bought
in 1966. I have attached a picture of the Mandator and also its specification delivery sheet.

Ray Smyth.

GTR%20953D.png

Hi Ray,

Whilst not a lorry I found this going through my old negatives of a Southdown “Queen Mary” with an advert on the side for Percy Powell,taken back in the early 60’s. I can put it on your Buses thread if you like as well ?
Stay safe my friend.
Regards
Richard

MaggieD:
Hi Ray,

Whilst not a lorry I found this going through my old negatives of a Southdown “Queen Mary” with an advert on the side for Percy Powell,taken back in the early 60’s. I can put it on your Buses thread if you like as well ?
Stay safe my friend.
Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, Thank you for a most unusual picture. I don’t think that I have ever seen an advert for a transport company on the
side of a bus. Can you please put it on the Buses thread. I also like the picture of the Black & White Motorways AEC, and the
Ryvita ERF. I hope that you and your family are OK during this difficult time. I will send an image of the bus to Mick Ansell.
Take care and keep safe, Regards, Ray.

Ray.

Tony Stevens started work as an HGV driver with Percy Powell Ltd of Horndean, Hampshire in September 1966.
These are pictures of his Contract of Employment, Drivers Log Sheets, and Time sheet. Powells did lots of work
to Wholesale fruit & veg markets throughout the United Kingdom. The vehicle log sheets show the reg number
of an AEC Marshall 6 wheeler flat lorry, GPH 395C. This lorry became part of the fleet of Robert Baillie & Co Ltd
about early 1970, and I drive it for a few months when it was based at the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie.
The documents are courtesy of Paul Stevens.

Ray Smyth.