Peak District.

windrush:

rigsby:
I did a lot of work out of Darlton in the late 80s , bagged retardamac and concrete crane off load , they even gave me a set of redundant forks for the crane . Also a lot of stone to garden centres as well . If it was slack on the bags I got a tipping trailer on bulk retardamac I made good money there as all the deliveries were East Anglia Water as far down as Felixtow . Last time I went in there was about 2001 or 2 for building stone , I don’t know how long it was open after that . Only went in Goddard once in the 80s , rates were abysmal .

I used to give Dene quarry at Cromford call if I was short of work after lunchtime and sometimes they would send me with dust for the block plant at Darlton. It had those favourite two letters loved by Tarmac on the delivery note; ‘SR’ meaning special (crap!) rate but it was a load and beggars can’t be choosy! The first time I went there I called at Darlton weighbridge before tipping as I thought they would need to weigh it in, BIG mistake! “Can you nip a load of tarmac to Wombwell, it’s in the bin and they are waiting for it?” so muggins sets off with it at around 3pm! Gets to site, 200+ tonne in front of me and nothing ready. At 6.30 pm; “Can you get rid of it driver, we don’t need it?” and it ended up getting tipped in the dark on waste ground!

Second time, afternoon and same scenario “Can you take a load of stone to Nottingham?” and I said OK. Gets loaded, looks at ticket and it has RAF Cottesmore on it! :open_mouth: Twice as far as Nottingham. Set off, got pulled by ministry at Bingham and was half a tonne overweight but they let me go and arrived at the site just as they were getting in the van to go home! Tipped me anyway, all mither I could have done without though! :unamused: The aggro I had just trying to earn a crust at times! :laughing:

Pete.

There are some drivers on here and FB who can’t bring theirselves to write the word “Tarmac”. Are they really that bad?