M5 Fatal smash

steviespain:

newmercman:
If you took out a truck with collision avoidance technology that wasn’t working you would be in very hot water if you did crash, both in the law and civil courts.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Only if if was made law. ?

Current Euro6 covers AEBS I believe.
New trucks all have it fitted.
If it’s fitted and you’re in an accident what then?
Turned on: the accident may or may not be your fault.
Turned off: the arguments will be that having it on, may have prevented or lessened the accident. Doesn’t really matter who caused the accident.
I think the AEBS is pretty bad at throwing up false alarms. But I’ll not turn it off. It annoys me, but I can live with that.
If an idiot pulls in front, and there’s a crash, then although the AEBS didn’t prevent this imaginary accident, no arguments can be made about my failing to use a safety device.

On a wider point. Look at all the safety devices we have on all vehicles today: tyres, brakes, suspension and steering are all streets ahead of where they were before. If we all drove the same as we did twenty years ago there would be many fewer accidents today.
But we don’t! Better tyres and suspension means we take curves a little faster. Better brakes means we drive a little closer.
It’s not right and proper, but it’s what we do. We drive to what we think are the safe limits. The limits get higher, we adjust our driving.
And there is always someone who goes too fast or too close and goes beyond the limit.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk