W.H.WILLIAMS (spennymoor)

Suedehead:
Why would you jack up a wheel, to put a snow chain on ?

Hmm…

There is more than one way to fit a snowchain. I remember before setting off for Damascus in the worst winter Turkey had endured for 50 years, 1975/76, being shown how to fit snow chains. This was in deep dark December Britain, where the temperature was about 5 degrees. The chain was laid across the tyres, , the connecting links were at the the bottom, iirc one link was able to be secured. You rolled the truck gently backwards and connected the rest of the links.

Heading up Bolu mountain East of Istanbul, in January, where putting on the handbrake wasn’t enough, you needed to put the trailer brake on too, or your whole rig would slide gently over the edge and the temperature was such that as you breathed out your breath fell as snowflakes to the ground it was another matter. Suddenly, those double chains seemed too small. Your skin was pulled off if you didn’t use gloves, but you didn’t have enough feeling with gloves. As I remember, we eventually managed to get simpler one wheel chains on and used the diff lock to stop the other wheel spinning.

So I can see that jacking up the axle would make it easier to put the chains on. I didn’t actually try that.

John.