Mid life crisis!

Hello everyone. Good to be here and thanks for having me, a vast sea of information :smiling_face:.

So i’m 36 and up untill a year ago I thought I’d be in Aviation till i retire, very wrong! without boring you with details I got stabbed in the back by a jealous colleague, anyone who has worked at a major airport will know how easy that is. Anyway I left after forensics found me not guilty! :smiling_face:

Lgv/Hgv has always been a burning ambition for me and now I feel motivated to get on the road. I have a couple of questions if i may…

I’ve been an aircraft tug driver for 11 years at manchester, monovering and towing planes. As a new driver will this experience count on the road?

I know how hard it is as a new driver! I’m in a position where I have 3 k for training and all the time to do it, just need to find the training school for me.
I live in south Manchester so I border manchester / Warrington so from what I hear it’s a good place for training/jobs.

I’m reading all these threads but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Getting stabbed in the back, getting treated like crap etc…you’re the ideal candidate for trucks! :slight_smile:

Experience moving planes - you’d think so but insurance wont care and no onroad experience so doubt it’ll help much to be honest. It might help if you wanted a job as a shunter (planes have to be worth more than trailers of frozen goods), maybe, but often for that you’ll need class 1.

For training, have a look for ROG’s posts on this section and he’s got a list of suggested training schools. Dont know the area myself although theres always Peter Smyth forum sponsor too.

Would imagine theres plenty of jobs around either class 2 multidrop esp around the airport region, or class 1 if you went for that too. Might not be the best jobs initially but same as everywhere.

Btw are you absolutely sure you want to drive trucks for a living?

I live in Warrington mate, and there is loads of work going.

Shame most of it is crap.

Thanks for the reply Trev. I didn’t think aviation would count for much just thought that maybe on a cv against another new driver might tip the edge on my side. I hear the value of trailers and goods can run into millions but towing an A380 with 400+ passengers can be a responsibility in itself. As I’m ploughing through research I’m starting to see that I could be walking into another back stabbing industry, I’m under no illusion it’s easy, in fact reading the (so you want to be a driver) thread nearly made me rethink. I’m seriously giving this a shot, i’ll never get this chance again financially so I’m doing both class 2 then 1 if i can just to open more possibilities. I’m single with no kids, most family is dead now so why the hell not eh :smiling_face:

I’ll check out those posts you suggested thanks

Eager where did you pass your training mate?

Ripper82:
Eager where did you pass your training mate?

Red Rose Training at Bolton pal.

Ripper82:
Thanks for the reply Trev. I didn’t think aviation would count for much just thought that maybe on a cv against another new driver might tip the edge on my side. I hear the value of trailers and goods can run into millions but towing an A380 with 400+ passengers can be a responsibility in itself. As I’m ploughing through research I’m starting to see that I could be walking into another back stabbing industry, I’m under no illusion it’s easy, in fact reading the (so you want to be a driver) thread nearly made me rethink. I’m seriously giving this a shot, i’ll never get this chance again financially so I’m doing both class 2 then 1 if i can just to open more possibilities. I’m single with no kids, most family is dead now so why the hell not eh :smiling_face:

I say go for it, I did, made the decision in December and by June I had my class 1 license, it was a big thing for me as I have a stable job, decent money and good hours but I’m not happy in the role anymore and the driving thing just wouldn’t go away, I’m not driving at the moment but have assessments with culina and Tesco coming up, and that’s with 0 class 1 or 2 experience so companies will give you a shot, go for it, regret the things you didn’t do, not the things you did.

avfcnat82:
and that’s with 0 class 1 or 2 experience so companies will give you a shot,

go for it, regret the things you didn’t do, not the things you did.

I properly agree with that.

Thanks guys. I’m going for it :smiling_face: A two week wait for funds then I’m booking myself in.

Ripper82:
Thanks guys. I’m going for it :smiling_face: A two week wait for funds then I’m booking myself in.

Good for you mate, enjoy it and keep us informed, :slight_smile:

Ripper82:

Nice one.
Thing is, if you don´t like it, you´ve tried it and found out.

As you are used to an airport working environment is it worth considering driving one of the fuel tankers fuelling the planes.

Aviation is something I want to leave behind. I really did get stitched up, read up :arrow_up: my company tried to give me a criminal record! Fuel driver’s work 12 hour 4 on 4 off earning around 25k when I was there. Aerodrome’s are security driven private property, fat cats seem to think they are untouchable with the power to do anything. They thought they could threaten me with forensics to make me admit something I’ve never done… Anyway the nightmare’s will be back tonight! Im going to sit in the corner to sweat it out! :smiling_face:

Hang on! You could be onto something. I could approach an air freight company like menzies or world freight. The fact that I’ve had an airside pass before might make me an attractive candidate. Just driving from airports to warehouses I hear. I’d love to bump into my old boss, just to talk obviously

Ripper82:
Hang on! You could be onto something. I could approach an air freight company like menzies or world freight. The fact that I’ve had an airside pass before might make me an attractive candidate. Just driving from airports to warehouses I hear. I’d love to bump into my old boss, just to talk obviously

You would already have the security and backgrounds checks, yes?

That´s a reasonable addition to your arsenal of “GIMME A JOB” tools innit?

They´d save, what, 3 weeks ish, and some money. Good selling point.

yes mate as far as a security pass goes i could even pursue that myself and get it reactivated. Oh dam seems I might not be getting away from that place! Least I can laugh at the idiots as I’m driving away :smiling_face:

Explore every possibility.

Re-activated? Has something expired?

I was thinking that, if you were already ON the air side, then you would already have the necessary passes, background checks, stuff like that.
Anything that …
A: Saves em money, and …
2: Saves em time, is a bonus and makes you stand out.

See what I mean?

No not expired. Anyone who leaves the airport surrender their airside pass along with all driving passes. Airport authority’s will keep them for upto 6 months, I have 4 months left. So right now I’d save them money on airside pass and airport driving licence. Yes i see what you mean, I’m waiting on a financial windfall! Hopefully by next week I can book myself in for training.

Rock on, mate.

I would think that airside passes are company specific. Given to you when you pass all of the various tests to be employed by them.
I don´t know for sure not having been in your situation.
But already passing a DBS thingy puts you in good stead with any prospective employer and is a good selling point for you.
■■■■ it, become a bus driver :smiley: