Tyres

‘‘The grooves of the tread pattern must have a depth of a least 1 mm throughout a continuous band measuring at least three-quarters of the breadth of the tread and round the entire outer circumference of the tyre, OR
if the grooves of the original tread pattern of the tyre do not extend beyond three-quarters of the breadth of the tread (i.e. common with motorcycle tyres) any groove of the original pattern must have a minimum depth of at least 1 mm.’’

With regard to the above statement, does the last sentence (any groove of the original pattern must have a minimum depth of at least 1 mm.) apply to both of the types of tyre in the paragraph?

Basically i need to know, if the type of tyre whose tread is across the full tyre width, has a patch with no tread visible outside the central 3/4 is legal, the central 3/4 has good tread but the outside edge has a bald patch with none of the original tread visible, about 6 inches long, the original tread pattern is still around the rest of the outside of the tyre, my opinion/instinct is that it is illegal

From your description of the tread I would say it’s legal.

Though it is a little odd that there would be a flat spot as you’ve described it.

How deep is the rest of the tread ?.

Sent from my mobile.

I have attached a picture if it works edit…better picture posted further down thread

Mods can you move this to the main forum where I might get some replies thanks

shullbit:
Mods can you move this to the main forum where I might get some replies thanks

DONE :smiley:

shullbit:
I have attached a picture if it works

Are you seriously asking if that’s legal?

Nite Owl:

shullbit:
I have attached a picture if it works

Are you seriously asking if that’s legal?

They walk amongst us…

I think…

Shullbit is possibly a small clue as to the authenticity of the OP.

Looking at the white patch it’s a re cap anyway so won’t be long before its capless in this weather :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You need to ask is it legal… are you serious :open_mouth: So we’re did that blow out today then, wouldn’t have lasted long.

shullbit:
my opinion/instinct is that it is illegal

does no one READ the FULL POST?,anyway, i originally posted this in the newbies section, but like i have have stated, in my fairly new experience to the transport business MY OPINION IS THAT IT IS ILLEGAL, so why would i ask? Because i have been told by someone with many years more experience than me that there is nothing wrong with it :unamused: I defected it and didnt take it out. Any advice is appreciated, but no need to have a go is there?

shullbit:

shullbit:

does no one READ the FULL POST?,anyway, i originally posted this in the newbies section, but like i have have stated, in my fairly new experience to the transport business MY OPINION IS THAT IT IS ILLEGAL, so why would i ask? Because i have been told by someone with many years more experience than me that there is nothing wrong with it :unamused: I defected it and didnt take it out. Any advice is appreciated, but no need to have a go is there?

As you’re relatively new here I’ll give you a run down of the unwritten rules.

1. Many on here wont get out of bed for less than 50k a year or £20 an hour. Monday to Friday that is.

2. Many on here have never ever made an error of judgement, got anything wrong, or broken any rule or regulation or law.

3. Many on here are just born with 30 years of driving experience from the word go and don’t need to ask advice or anything.

4. Many on here are full of utter bobbins and use the internet to spout a load of guff in a manner that they wouldn’t dare do in real life.

There’s probably more…

But don’t let those bother you because there’s also some good lads and lasses on here who WILL offer advice and assistance :slight_smile:

toonsy:

shullbit:

shullbit:

As you’re relatively new here I’ll give you a run down of the unwritten rules.

1. Many on here wont get out of bed for less than 50k a year or £20 an hour. Monday to Friday that is.

2. Many on here have never ever made an error of judgement, got anything wrong, or broken any rule or regulation or law.

3. Many on here are just born with 30 years of driving experience from the word go and don’t need to ask advice or anything.

4. Many on here are full of utter bobbins and use the internet to spout a load of guff in a manner that they wouldn’t dare do in real life.

There’s probably more…

But don’t let those bother you because there’s also some good lads and lasses on here who WILL offer advice and assistance :slight_smile:

Think you’ve covered the advice and assistance in one [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shullbit:

shullbit:

Would you have driven your car with a tyre in that state? You have cord showing, the amount of tread on it doesn’t matter. That vehicle should not have moved. It’s your license, who ever you work for will not stand up for you if you get stopped.

That being said. That’s not happened whilst it’s been parked in the yard. Whoever has been driving it for the past week or so want their ■■■■■■■■ putting in a vice for leaving it.

If you’re agency and you’re not happy about taking a vehicle out. Take a picture. Phone you’re agency and tell them why you’re not taking the vehicle out and show the picture why.

Nite Owl:

shullbit:

shullbit:

Would you have driven your car with a tyre in that state? You have cord showing, the amount of tread on it doesn’t matter. That vehicle should not have moved. It’s your license, who ever you work for will not stand up for you if you get stopped.

That being said. That’s not happened whilst it’s been parked in the yard. Whoever has been driving it for the past week or so want their ■■■■■■■■ putting in a vice for leaving it.

If you’re agency and you’re not happy about taking a vehicle out. Take a picture. Phone you’re agency and tell them why you’re not taking the vehicle out and show the picture why.

Nite owl. Reread the quote from shullbit, then reread what you’ve posted.

This is less about tread depth, that’s sidewall territory. When it comes to the cord, if you can see it it shouldn’t go, it’s as simple as that. That tyre looks like a retread and it’s coming apart, it’s quite common that a tiny amount will come off with age around the very edge but nothing on that scale.

Still being told it’s legal so I have posted a better picture opinions please

There is a difference between eyeballing the actual item and looking at a photograph however:

The issue which really matters is just WHO is declaring the tyre OK? an office whallah, or one of the company’s workshop staff who has come out to look at it?

The tyre looks to be on the n/s of a rigid and is a recap which has had the sipes recut. The sipes, if initially shallower than the rest of the original tread pattern, do not form part of the 3/4 tread width. From that picture I can’t see any cords exposed or able to be exposed. Either the person recutting the sipes missed a section, the tyre is out of shape and a section was deliberately left untouched, or the recut section has worn down because the tyre is out of shape.

Superficially from what can be seen in the picture the tyre is legal at present, but it appears that the bonding of the recap tread is starting to delaminate. This is not unusual and it may take some time for this to get worse, however it does require keeping a close eye upon the depth of the separation because eventually the tread will come off completely and suddenly. Get the pressures checked regularly since low pressure will accelerate failure.

Best practice would remove the tyre and replace it with something of better quality - like a Michelin Remix. The problem with recap and remould tyres is that the casing being retreaded may well be many years old. The reason some operators do not like Michelin Remix is one of price; Michelin reject significantly more casings presented for further use than the other remould companies.

All tyres have a month & year of manufacture date code on the sidewall eg 0718. On a PSV a tyre with a date code more than 10 years old which is fitted to the front axle will attract a ‘minor’ on the MOT. I have just removed 2 tyres from the rear axle of my car, because they were over 10 years old, inspite of them having significant tread left.

cav551:
There is a difference between eyeballing the actual item and looking at a photograph however:

The issue which really matters is just WHO is declaring the tyre OK? an office whallah, or one of the company’s workshop staff who has come out to look at it?

The tyre looks to be on the n/s of a rigid and is a recap which has had the sipes recut. The sipes, if initially shallower than the rest of the original tread pattern, do not form part of the 3/4 tread width. From that picture I can’t see any cords exposed or able to be exposed. Either the person recutting the sipes missed a section, the tyre is out of shape and a section was deliberately left untouched, or the recut section has worn down because the tyre is out of shape.

Superficially from what can be seen in the picture the tyre is legal at present, but it appears that the bonding of the recap tread is starting to delaminate. This is not unusual and it may take some time for this to get worse, however it does require keeping a close eye upon the depth of the separation because eventually the tread will come off completely and suddenly. Get the pressures checked regularly since low pressure will accelerate failure.

Best practice would remove the tyre and replace it with something of better quality - like a Michelin Remix. The problem with recap and remould tyres is that the casing being retreaded may well be many years old. The reason some operators do not like Michelin Remix is one of price; Michelin reject significantly more casings presented for further use than the other remould companies.

All tyres have a month & year of manufacture date code on the sidewall eg 0718. On a PSV a tyre with a date code more than 10 years old which is fitted to the front axle will attract a ‘minor’ on the MOT. I have just removed 2 tyres from the rear axle of my car, because they were over 10 years old, inspite of them having significant tread left.

good explanation thank you