The humble Ford D series

GS OVERLAND:

fredm:
I did there was a small driving school in leyton cannot recall the name might have been estate driving school or something like that , the instructor was an old rocker DA haircut an all I used to do a 2 hour lesson once or twice a week in the evening that cost £10 per lesson this was 1976 or 77 cant recall, on each lesson we would end up in commercial road and get these seriously spicy kebabs from a pakistani cafe,I did a long day at north weald airstrip to get the reversing right I could not turn my head the next day having spent hours looking rearwards, happy days fredm

I did too. D Series with a 28ft trailer.
I passed my HGV Class1 test in July 1984 just a week after my 21st birthday, the driving school was somewhere off Abbey Road, Stratford next to the British Rail Marshalling Yard. I used to do my lessons after work, I had five, we used to make our way across to Hoxton and practice on the small roundabout on Downham Rd N1. Then I would get a bit of extra time in the yard, getting the reversing down pat.
Passed first time.
A few years before that I used to drive one that was a breakdown truck when I was a fitter at Twyford Commercial on Evelyn Street, Deptford SE8.
GS.

Hello Gav, I did my class one in a D series with a firm in Stratford, they were called Benders, I was 21 on Friday and had a class one the following Thursday, 6am on Friday I had an F10, a 40” flat and a load of gypsum boards to Bognor Regis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk