Fianl Straw?

How many would chuck their job in if they hated their vehicle?

I’m quite happy with mine, but currently the firm is losing a few drivers and it wouldn’t surprise me if the decision of one that’s just left is the piece of crap he’s been driving.

For whatever reason when replacing a couple of ageing (06) Volvos, the powers that be decided on 67 plate DAF CFs of a lower spec to a number of 17 plate DAFs. After a few months the one driver has quit and the other has just switched to a 63 plate Axor.

I had the misfortune of half a day with one of the 67 plates and in all honesty I would be looking to find a way to avoid driving the ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ every day, whether it be moving on or accidentally on purpose writing it off, they really are not fit for purpose.

I’ve switched from a 16plte Actros to a 14plt MAN because the ride quality was shocking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recently did a shift on 7.5t, as I was paid same as class 1 money. Was an old Merc 7.5t and was a 59 plate.

Cruise control didn’t work.
Radio didn’t work.
Didn’t have a bouncy seat.
Was manual.
Manual box didn’t want to go into gear.
Brakes were attrocious. Stopping it required plenty of forewarning.
It was temperamental and didn’t want to start when the engine was warm. You had to let it cool down if you switched it off.
It stank of weed - and I mean really stank.
One of the lights didn’t work. Used company credit card to buy a new bulb - but that didn’t fix it. Tried changing the fuse but that didn’t fix it. Was day so cracked on.
Had warning on saying moisture in tanks and to drain. Asked manager and he said it was fine and that they just didn’t replace filters as expensive. Was very unnerving.

So yeah I wouldn’t drive that day in day out. In fact I’ll never drive for that company again. It was a joke. Wanna tell me how awful the 67 plate was?

Thankfully most of the time I drive a 16 plate Merc Antos with all the gadgets (I think, only one I’ve been in so…) but other days I could be driving an 11 or 62 plate Isuzu ‘Forward’ easy shift thing and they are horrific, can easily use half a tank of fuel in less than 100 miles (might be down to the driver too to be fair but the mpg is awful) seats are like rocks, handles like a home made back street go kart with pram wheels and the curtains get stuck on fresh air! Another day I’ll drive a manual DAF LF which is actually OK except once again the curtains get stuck for no reason!

Could happily drive the Antos all day though but honestly the bouncey seat does my head in, seems to be one of my main peeves at the minute!

Guess answer depends on how much your in truck. If it’s an allocated one then I could see how someone could think bollox to this and move - me personally no I wouldn’t.

We have mostly MANs with a few Merc Actros.

No one want to drive the Mercs. I got one other day and tbh was a pain but that’s simply because used to MANs now

Fist thing I thought about Actros from a MAN was where’s rest of steering wheel!

Also display menu took a bit of getting used to to control axles/suspension, even remote was fiddly

And as for getting Bluetooth to accept phone was a work of art pairing up. Def not intuitive

I can’t see me leaving a job just because of vehicle make. You simply get used to them and adapt.

This thread is more like a carry on from the one about agency drivers not being used to vehicles and being sent home!

Different trucks have different traits you just get used to them and on your way [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your paid to DRIVE not dictate what the company buys for you to drive.
As long as the money is OK and you like the job get on with it.
Driven some "old nails"in my time with none of the luxuries you have today,but who cares the money was OK and T&C`s where good.

Drove an Actros artic for the best part of a year once: hated the bloody thing! But the work was brilliant (long-haul), the pay was excellent, the company good and the other drivers were fantastic - so I stayed.

When I moved on, I drove exactly my kind of lorry :sunglasses: , complete with Twin-splitter :grimacing: ; but that wasn’t why I left the previous company :wink: Robert

A bad truck can be the final straw, of course it can. An otherwise enjoyable, well paid job, can be made distasteful by driving a dog, but doubtful it’ll be a quitting matter.
An average job with other problems attached? Yeah a bad truck could be enough to push you over the edge.
My current truck is newer than my last one, but is a dog. Worse gearbox, braking systems, steering and other crap. Both DAFs as it happens. I did look around considering other work, but in the end stayed here.
New truck has one advantage over the older one, as I’m fitter now. Punching the steering wheel, and kicking the thing everytime it annoys me is good exercise.
[emoji3]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I’m not sure about jacking in because of the make of truck, but I’m ■■■■■■■ sick of sharing a motor.

This new job I’m in is excellent, and I’m really enjoying it apart from the sharing of the truck. It seems that “one truck one driver… trampers motors will rarely go out without you” actually means “there will be a driver waiting for your keys when you get back to the yard on your last shift”.

It’s the usual stuff. Food and drink spills. Muddy boots. Changed seat and mirrors. No kit left in the lockers. Can’t leave anything behind because it’ll get nicked. Last week I came back to find my can of emergency red bull has gone from the fridge and had been replaced with a leaking yogurt pot. :unamused:

If/when I catch wind of a similar job but with a one truck one driver policy I’ll jack this for it.

This^^^

Not bothered what I drive,as long as I don’t have to share.

My 26t low cab Van is a dog, decent enough to drive but barely enough space for my lunch box.

However the pays superb by north west class 2 standards , we’ve had drivers from over the road earning 8.25 including Saturday and Sundays , driving very nice brand spanking artic Scanias who have refused the job at our place when they are told they will start off in one of our poxy 18 tonners , and go back to earning their pittance.

Madness, maybe if your truly one of them drivers who “doesn’t need the wages just hear for the ride” I can understand but immagine not putting yourself in a position where you can afford a couple of cracking holidays a year because you refuse to work in a particular vehicle

I’m new to the HGV world, I will drive anything. Currently driving Actros and apart from the ride quality and the gearbox needing planning permission to select a gear I have no problem.

Yes I come across a wagon left in a mess, I tidy it before I go out in it, I very rarely grumble. My ‘blow the top’ moment came 3 or 4 weeks ago when some inconsiderate womble broke the armrest and radio in one of our lorries. I hate when people don’t respect the vehicles that they don’t own or pay maintenance for. I still went out in it but didn’t half chew the fat with my TM afterwards.

As mentioned, just having a bad vehicle wouldn’t make me quit, if other thi gs were bad like t&c’s, bosses, planning etc then yes, I would quit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Alfa1M:
My 26t low cab Van is a dog, decent enough to drive but barely enough space for my lunch box.

However the pays superb by north west class 2 standards , we’ve had drivers from over the road earning 8.25 including Saturday and Sundays , driving very nice brand spanking artic Scanias who have refused the job at our place when they are told they will start off in one of our poxy 18 tonners , and go back to earning their pittance.

Madness, maybe if your truly one of them drivers who “doesn’t need the wages just hear for the ride” I can understand but immagine not putting yourself in a position where you can afford a couple of cracking holidays a year because you refuse to work in a particular vehicle

Did I read this post right ? £8.25 for the privaliage of driving a blinged up motor [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Our rigid drivers are on £8.86 and Saturday is time &half sunday double bubble

blue estate:
Did I read this post right ? £8.25 for the privaliage of driving a blinged up motor [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We live in strange times indeed when an NCP car ■■■■■■■■■■■■ in a major city earns more per hour than a person driving a lorry!

blue estate:

Alfa1M:

Hi

100%, Saturday Sunday bank hol. Phone calls after 47 minutes stationary.

Big green wagons running out of Carrington, Manchester.

Edit sorry, just confirmed with out driver that worked for them. It’s £8.75. That’s ok then !

slowlane:
Changed seat and mirrors.

MY GOD! THE AUDACITY OF THESE PEOPLE! Changing the mirrors?!? Madness… :laughing:

Alfa1M:

blue estate:

Alfa1M:

Hi

Edit sorry, just confirmed with out driver that worked for them. It’s £8.75. That’s ok then !

5 miles up the road driving a plain white Renault Master pays 9.25 an hour…

Alfa1M:

blue estate:

Alfa1M:

Hi

BTS :laughing: or you could go to Downton’s for £9.25 per hour. What about R Whittaker & sons? £9.00 per hour :grimacing: Canute offer a biblical £9.79, Keedwell’s tempt you with a mighty £9.75 or you could also try your luck with Maxi Haulage at a meaty £9.65 per hour :laughing:

The North West is a hot bed of cash soaked truckers :sunglasses:

I’ll drive anything if the pay is enough… Anything…

Seriously though if one job was let’s say £10 an hour and a fully specced Volvo or £11 an hour with a 20 year old Daf I’d take the daf job every time.

Ye comfort is nice… But it’s a luxury, let’s not forget people used to drive these things without power steering and now we have people moaning their curtains don’t have any frilly bits on them… :laughing: :imp:

Regarding the wage, something everyone needs to be wary of - the salary offered needs to be qualified with the expected hours worked… opting out of WTD and busting 60 hrs a week soon makes a £35k salary look a bit ■■■■.